News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't Post Images!

Started by Slash McCoy, February 07, 2016, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slash McCoy

I have attachments enabled and filtering off. I can click on the "Attachments and other options" link below the text entry box, and get an "Attach:" dialog. I can browse for a file on my computer and select it. Then click the "Post" button and the post appears in the forum, and at the bottom is a paperclip, the file name as a link, and file size. But the pic does not appear. When I click the file name link, I get a dialog:

You have chosen to open:
gds.jpg
which is: JPEG Image (0 bytes)
from <cant post url, site won;t let me>
What should Firefox do with this file?
<radio button> FlashGot <option list> (Browser Built In)
<radio button> Save File
<check box> Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
<button>Cancel  <button>Save File

And sure enough, if I download it to my computer, it is an empty file.

I open the forum/attachments directory on the server and there are a bunch of cryptically named files of size zero bytes, about as many as the attenpts I have made to post a pic as admin, regular user, and moderator. It is going through the motions of uploading but not actually uploading the content of the file. I dont think it is my browser.. I can post pics to other forums just fine.

I tried to post the url for my forum but the site won't let me. Anyway thanks for any help!

Trying this... growleymonster dot com slant forum. I have set up a user account userid: demo password: demo if anybody wants to give it a try.

a10

Tested with a 'demo' post, happens exactly as described. Seems the forum does what it should, but when saved on the server the .jpg picture is converted to zero size, but .txt attachment works. Talk with the host.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Kindred

yeah, this occurs with some mods in some server configurations and I believe it has to do with the chown setup (again)
I've never seen it happen with attachments.... but it definitely would seem to be related and would have to be answered/addressed by the host
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Slash McCoy

Okay that makes sense. Thanks for having a look, guys. I will check with hosting and see what they say.

Slash McCoy

I opened a support ticket with the host and I didn't get a reply, but posting images mysteriously works now. So I am assuming they fixed something or another. I told them my problem and what directory my images were being uploaded to, and I dont see anything different there except now images display below the post and I can not only view them but download them. So I am calling this problem SOLVED. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement: