Posts containing Greek or Russian or Chinese, etc...?

Started by ?Almirena?, February 08, 2016, 03:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?Almirena?

Hello,

Our forum (2.0.11) ought to be able to have members posting in various languages (classical Greek, Russian, Chinese, etc.). It's not been possible to date; all that is posted is a maddening array of question marks.

I've checked in Admin to see which character set is being used: it is ISO-8859-1. We only have the default English language pack installed.

From searching here, it seems that what I must do is go to Forum Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8. However, this option does not appear.

Maintenance -> Database -> Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters DOES appear.

Do I simply run that instead?

And do I need to download the English language pack again? And would I need also to download and install the language packs of other languages which some of the forum members might wish to use when quoting something in a foreign language in their posts?

And do I need then to run a query in PHPMyAdmin to convert each user's language settings?

UPDATE smf_members
SET lngfile = CONCAT(lngfile, '-utf8')
WHERE lngfile != ''

(Of course backing up first is essential.)

Kindred

yes, that is the correct spot in maintenance.

yes, you would neevd to download and install the UTF-8 versions of the language packs

you would also need to change the forum itself to use UTF-8. change the default language to the urf-8 version and probably uninstall the non-utf-8 languages

not sure about the force switch of users in the database...  but possibly
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: