Can an administrator add board level notifications for users?

Started by Atrus, February 08, 2016, 10:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrus

I'm running a U.S. Constitution based website with front-end SMF forums, and a back-end website. http://www.myconstitution.info.

Some of my key users are complete newbies in forum usage, and I'm "spoon-feeding" them a little at a time. They have asked about "Notifications" and they want them for several of the boards. Is there any way that I as an administrator, can add "board level" notifications to their individual profiles? From what I see, it looks like each member must turn them on themselves. I have not been able to find a way to do it for them, as an administrator.

Is there a way that I don't know about?

Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

The only thing an admin can do is enable Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. in a member's profile.  This is global, not board specific.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Atrus

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 08, 2016, 10:31:16 PM
The only thing an admin can do is enable Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. in a member's profile.  This is global, not board specific.

I've done that, but they have to either start or reply to a thread before they get a notification. They want to be notified if a new note is posted on a specific board(s) but I couldn't find anything to allow me to do that for them. I guess I'll have to get a bigger spoon.  ;D

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Oddly, another of my replies didn't post.  Was going to suggest that you post a sticky (I know, nobody reads stickies), or maybe use news fader to explain how notifications work.

- R. Waters

Atrus

Quote from: Kindred on February 08, 2016, 10:38:44 PM
They can click notify at the board level

Yes, I know that...  But THEY don't know that. They're intimidated by the forum, and I'm trying to "spoon-feed" them little bits at a time, and not overwhelm them.

They have told me via email that they think they're not computer savvy enough to use the forums. I'm trying to convince them that if they can use email, they can use the forum. But they're scared to even try. I'm 70 years old, and tying to convince them that if I can RUN the forum, they should be able to at least USE it...  :)

...but you know how old people are...  :laugh:

Siirist

Hello,

For me, when a member joins, I go into THEIR Profile >> Modify Profile >> Look and Layout, then I check the box on the 3rd row down - "Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible."
REMEMBER to scroll to bottom and click on "Save"

To me that makes navigation easier for my members.

With the amount of users you have, this should be feasible and only take a short while.

Then you can go to Notifications (again, in THEIR profile) and check the 1st box - "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

That is a start, you can also place links in your signature that will assist your members.

This is my signature on Your Sanctuary (with the links de-activated):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I post a topic? ---- How do I post a reply? ---- How do I quote someone?
How do I change my Display name? ---- What else can I change or add to my profile?
How do I send a Personal Message (PM)? ---- I shouldn't give out my IM?!!  Why Not?
My name is Siirist.
I am one of the Administrators.
I can help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a disabled vet and have a lot of free time, so if you want, I can join and try to help you guide your membership.

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Illori

Quote from: Atrus on February 08, 2016, 11:08:04 PM

Yes, I know that...  But THEY don't know that. They're intimidated by the forum, and I'm trying to "spoon-feed" them little bits at a time, and not overwhelm them.

They have told me via email that they think they're not computer savvy enough to use the forums. I'm trying to convince them that if they can use email, they can use the forum. But they're scared to even try. I'm 70 years old, and tying to convince them that if I can RUN the forum, they should be able to at least USE it...  :)

then they get an email, if it includes the body of the message... next you know they reply to the email and the forum never gets the message and it does not get posted. next we know you are asking how they can reply by email.

Atrus

Quote from: Siirist on February 09, 2016, 01:09:59 AM
Hello,

For me, when a member joins, I go into THEIR Profile >> Modify Profile >> Look and Layout, then I check the box on the 3rd row down - "Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible."
REMEMBER to scroll to bottom and click on "Save" I have this option turned on at the theme level, and I agree, it helps. But like I said, they're intimidated by just the thought of using the "forums." 

To me that makes navigation easier for my members.

With the amount of users you have, this should be feasible and only take a short while.

Then you can go to Notifications (again, in THEIR profile) and check the 1st box - "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic." I also do this when I approve a new member, but that only turns on notifications if they either start or reply to a post. If a new topic is started, or a reply is made to a topic that they have not been involved with, they will never know. That's why I wanted to turn notifications on for them at the BOARD level. I have no problem doing that for them if it were possible.

That is a start, you can also place links in your signature that will assist your members.

This is my signature on Your Sanctuary (with the links de-activated):
I like that idea!
How do I post a topic? ---- How do I post a reply? ---- How do I quote someone?
How do I change my Display name? ---- What else can I change or add to my profile?
How do I send a Personal Message (PM)? ---- I shouldn't give out my IM?!!  Why Not?
My name is Siirist.
I am one of the Administrators.
I can help.

I am a disabled vet and have a lot of free time, so if you want, I can join and try to help you guide your membership.

Best Wishes,
Siirist

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, and thank you for your service in the military. I am a USAF Vietnam vet myself.

Atrus

Quote from: Illori on February 09, 2016, 04:59:02 AM
Quote from: Atrus on February 08, 2016, 11:08:04 PM

then they get an email, if it includes the body of the message... next you know they reply to the email and the forum never gets the message and it does not get posted. next we know you are asking how they can reply by email.

Yeah, we all know how us "old" people are... ;D

Sir Osis of Liver

I use a custom theme on my family forum, which has been simplified to make it easier for members (especially my Dad, who is 88) to use.  Much can be removed, especially from the index and display templates, without losing basic functionality.  There are a lot of duplications, unnecessary features, and superfluous widgets that make the layout confusing for non-tech users, and cleaning up is not that difficult.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: