News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

index.css changing colours not working

Started by edremz, February 10, 2016, 09:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edremz

Hello, hoping someone here can help me and stop me feeling frustrated and stupid.  ???

I'm currently using SMF 2.0.9 version of the forum. hxxp:www.forum.elevatedereham.co.uk/index.php [nonactive]

I've created/installed a new default theme to edit the style/colours I wish to have on my forum. It was going well. I managed to change the background colour, add in our logo. I do those things some weeks ago and came back to finish editing.

Going into 'Admin' - 'Configuration' - 'Themes and Layouts' - Modify Themes' - 'Edit this theme's stylesheets.'

And clicking the 'index.css' file to edit the colours of the forum.

For some reason though, I've tried editing two-four different areas to different colours, saving it to see the changes and nothing being changed.

Areas I've tried changing the colour/s are as followed:

• h3.catbg a:hover, h4.catbg a:hover, .table_list tbody.header td a:hover
  • Some of the different windowbg areas.
  • The inner white background, which can't seem to find and when I thought I had, nothing changed.

There must be something I'm doing wrong, I'm sure, but just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Emz

Steve

Did you do a hard refresh on your browser after making the changes?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Siirist

Hi,

Maybe you are loading a cached page?

Try clearing your browser's cache.

If that doesn't work, try your forum's cache, ACP >> Maintenance >> Forum Maintenance >> "Empty the file cache"

Can't hurt.

Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Illori

you should ideally be editing the files and not using that method. it is possible the files are not writable so the changes you are making are not being saved. by editing the files itself you can easily tell if this is happening.

Siirist

*step out on to the ice*

Um, to late to say that there is a couple of antiquated MODs for this?

Board Color and Icons

Colorized boards
(Colorize board names, descriptions and category names)
I may switch to this one.

Just me,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Illori

i dont think those change the areas the op wants changed.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on February 10, 2016, 10:25:01 AM
i dont think those change the areas the op wants changed.

*falls through the ice*

My bad, read the OP's post wrong, still on first cup of coffee this morning.   :o

MORE COFFEE!!!  :P
Needed information:

edremz

Yes to the refreshing and just gone through and cleared caches without any change.

To Illori, I thought someone would mention this. Unfortunately I don't own the place it is hosted so can't get to those files. I might be able to ask to get to them to edit as it's my friends or ask said friend to edit the things as he knows his way around coding I think.

-hands warm towel to Siirist- I'll keep those mods in mind if I ever want those areas changed colour, would be easier with mods.

I don't suppose, if there's no way of sorting this problem, there's a way to make a theme offline/off site and then just upload/install it once it's done? Just a thought I had, will understand if I need to start a thread to ask.

Antes

cat_bar / title_bar etc... uses images by default. Try removing those background definitions first.

Siirist

Quote from: edremz on February 10, 2016, 01:16:30 PM
I don't suppose, if there's no way of sorting this problem, there's a way to make a theme offline/off site and then just upload/install it once it's done? Just a thought I had, will understand if I need to start a thread to ask.

Um, I have downloaded themes, then scanned them (just a precaution), and then "Extract" them to get a better look at the various images and such.
So it is possible to download, and "Extract" them to do your work on them.

HOWEVER, I believe that you will have to "Zip" them again then go to Admin Panel >> Configuration >> Themes and Layout >>  Install a New Theme
"From a file:"

I don't have a program to "Zip" them again, so I am unable to test this idea.

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:

Shambles

Quote from: Siirist
I don't have a program to "Zip" them again, so I am unable to test this idea.

/off topic

http://www.7-zip.org/

edremz

Sorry I haven't replied soon, life got in the way lol

I myself do have a zip program, so will try changing the theme/colours etc by downloading one and editing it offline on my computer and try to install it onto the forum that way.

Thanks for every-bodies help on this matter!  :)

Advertisement: