DB Upgrade Question - 1.1.19 to 2.011

Started by Thorne, February 10, 2016, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

Hello,

I  am running an old forum using version 1.1.19.  Because we use a special modified theme it has required us to manually upgrade and we have not had the time, thus the reason we have not upgraded to 1.1.21 yet.

Now our hosting server has upgraded PHP and pretty much every action results in one or more instances of:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/MY_USER/public_html/MY_FORUM_PATH/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

As I have already learned from doing a forum search here for that error, it would be impractical to try to continue with the 1.1x versions anyway, and my best bet is to completely upgrade to the latest stable 2.x version.  Due to the nature of this error, I cannot use SMF to upgrade through the forum, nor can I use SMF to backup the database, and will have to do it from phpMyAdmin.

This is fine, current modifications be d@mned; the only other alternative we have is to close the forum completely and a lot of our old, deprecated members don't want me to do that :)

My question then is, will I be able to salvage the old 1.1.19 database data?  That is, will I be able to keep all the old posts, with their accompanying attachments?  This is an art forum and there are many image attachments.  I do not mind losing the modifications, the custom themes, etc., as these we can redo as time permits.  I would just like to know if I can save the whole farm at all at this point  :-\

After that I'll probably need more help as I'm much better at painting pictures than deciphering code.   :-[

Thank you for your help!

Chloé

Illori

all your content will stay in place and get upgraded to SMF 2.0 when you do the upgrade. you are best to do a backup in phpmyadmin anyway.

Thorne

Advertisement: