Can not figure out how to upgrade help lease?

Started by Da_moma, February 12, 2016, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da_moma

HI,

I am sorry my first post is asking for help but I am trying to upgrade a smf from    SMF 2.0.7  to the current version and I have followed the instructions as outlined on the smf site but it is not working for me. The update.php does not exist anywhere I can see and when I try to update through the admin I get an permission error from hostgator . Can someone please please help me wit this? Walk me through it step my baby step? PLEASE I have been at this for hours and from everything I have read, this should not be this hard.

Thank You in advance for your help,

Da_moma

Sir Osis of Liver

You do not need to do a full upgrade to get from 2.0.7 to 2.0.11, you can install the updates from 2.0.7 -> .8 -> .9 -> .10 -> 2. 0.11 in admin control panel.  If you've already uploaded the full upgrade package, you don't have to run upgrade.php, as there are no changes to the database from .7 to .11.  The forum should be upgraded and running at 2.0.11.

What have you done so far? 
Link to your forum?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Siirist

Quote from: Da_moma on February 12, 2016, 12:29:22 PM
The update.php does not exist anywhere I can see and when I try to update through the admin I get an permission error from hostgator .

Always back-up before making changes. Admin >> Maintenance >> Forum Maintenance >> (click on) "Database" (at the top) >> "Backup Database" (make sure all 3 boxes are checked) >> click on "Download"

Once that is done, you are safer.

Can you post the specific error?

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Sir Osis of Liver

NO, NO, NO!!!!  The admin backup feature is unreliable and should not be used.  Database backups should be done using cpanel backup (if available), phpmyadmin, or third party backup software, such as MySQLDumper.

- R. Waters

Da_moma

HI Siirist, Sir Osis of Liver,

I downloaded database backup through cpanel backups then I ftp'd and downloaded the entire forum folder before I even read the tutorials.
I then selected and downloaded the patches ( I thought ) from SMF site each one I would need.
Next I tried to upload then through admin as the tut said and most were already there.
I then tried to upgrade through admin but there is no install links to do do.
[/list]
The backend says this:
SMF Package    SMF 2.0.7    SMF 2.0.11
Sources                  2.0.3              2.0.11
Default Templates   2.0                 2.0.10
Language Files        2.0                 2.0.10
Current Templates    2.0                    2.0

The row where the reds are the running version - the right rows are the SMF current version

The site is here uberhumidors.com/forum [nofollow]
it is not my site but a good friends.

I have never used SMF before and have no clue what I am doing wrong.

Thank You

Siirist

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 12, 2016, 01:17:53 PM
NO, NO, NO!!!!  The admin backup feature is unreliable and should not be used.  Database backups should be done using cpanel backup (if available), phpmyadmin, or third party backup software, such as MySQLDumper.

Sorry Sir, I SOO did NOT know this. :-\ I stand corrected.  ;)

Thanks,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can PM temporary admin access, I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

Da_moma

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 12, 2016, 09:21:45 PM
If you can PM temporary admin access, I'll have a look.

I sent you a PM Thank You so  much!

Sir Osis of Liver

The link for the 2.0.7 -> 2.0.8 upgrade is in package manager, but I'm getting 403 errors.  Looks like a chownership problem.  If you can't fix it yourself, contact your host.

- R. Waters

Illori

you should be able to download the patch from http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/ and install it in the package manager.

Sir Osis of Liver

OP has already tried that.  Package manager lists 2.0.8 - .11 packages with no install/uninstall link.  2.0.8 & 2.0.9 are listed in installed packages, but cannot be uninstalled 'because there is no uninstaller'.  File permissions are correct 755/644.

Edit:  Tried d/ling 2.0.8 patch again with package manager, got the empty package error.

- R. Waters

Da_moma

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 13, 2016, 02:03:10 PM
The link for the 2.0.7 -> 2.0.8 upgrade is in package manager, but I'm getting 403 errors.  Looks like a chownership problem.  If you can't fix it yourself, contact your host.

YUP that is what I got as well, so I changed the /Packages/tmp/ folders permission and tried again ( first 755 - then 777 ) I still got the same error.
Then as you stated I also tried this
Quote from: Illori on February 13, 2016, 03:14:09 PM
you should be able to download the patch from http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/ and install it in the package manager.

Worse case?
Is it possible for me to download the database backup through cp - backups - database backup and then re download the forum files through ftp - Then do a clean install of the current version then upload and restore the backup of the database through cp - restore backups then simply over-write the files with the folder I download in FTP and not lose any posts or members or mods they may have made?

I appreciate all of the help <<HUGS>>

Sir Osis of Liver

The database is not affected by this, don't believe there were any changes from 2.0.7 -> 2.0.11, just be sure you have a good backup.  You can upload a clean set of files from the 2.0.11 large upgrade package (no need to run upgrade.php), then reinstall all mods.  You would also have to redo any custom code edits.

- R. Waters

Da_moma

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 13, 2016, 03:51:50 PM
The database is not affected by this, don't believe there were any changes from 2.0.7 -> 2.0.11, just be sure you have a good backup.  You can upload a clean set of files from the 2.0.11 large upgrade package (no need to run upgrade.php), then reinstall all mods.  You would also have to redo any custom code edits.

OK Hun thank you I have never used this script before but I am sure I can figure it out with all the wonderful people like you who I have met thus far.
Thank You so much for being so kind  :)

I have also found out the guy who installed the script used fantastico to do so - maybe that is creating the issue?

Sir Osis of Liver

Autoinstallers, fantastico among them, have been known to cause problems.  Make sure you have good backups, then try uploading a clean set of files.  If you have problems reinstalling your mods, you may need fix packages

- R. Waters

Da_moma

Da_moma

OK Update went well following your instructions  :-* Only two mods shows red box and I did not reinstall them because of that.
SO do I use the fix file to do this and how do I use it?

Thank You so much <<HUGS>>

Da_moma

Complete and marking as solved! Whoo Hoo  :-*Sure wish I could give you a big hug Thanks again for all of your help!

Advertisement: