News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

PHP 5.5 compatibility?

Started by MobileCS, February 18, 2016, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileCS

I'm in a bit of a jam ...  I'm currently using PHP 5.4 with SMF 1.1.21 without any issues. I can't upgrade to SMF 2.x as of yet, as it would require an abnormal amount of time to bring back all the customizations that are required.

Now, I find myself in need to upgrade to PHP 5.5 - would I have any issues running SMF 1.1.21 using it?

I know there would be a couple deprecated warnings, but that can be muted. According to this PHP.net page , it doesn't seem I would have any issues.

Kindred

1.1.x will not run cleanly on php 5.5
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MobileCS

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2016, 11:31:27 PM
1.1.x will not run cleanly on php 5.5

You mean beyond the deprecated warnings?

Illori

you should not ignore those warnings, you need to upgrade to SMF 2.0 and those will go away and you will gain more security as SMF 1.1 is basically end of life and may not receive any further security updates.

margarett

You should read this sticky --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534915.0
It is possible to run SMF 1.1.x with PHP5.5 like you said. Yet, new PHP versions will appear and, at some point, your host will upgrade to a version which doesn't run anymore. When that happens (note that I'm not saying "if that happens", I'm saying "when it happens) your forum will "die" and it will be much more difficult to upgrade under pressure.
Why not start now, when it still works, and do it with time? ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

vbgamer45

I was able to fix "Wrong boards order in your Board Index" due to new mysql versions very minor change just adding the order by in the board index boardorder

If anyone wants to help with the others I would donate/support as well. I have probably 10's of thousands of boards on SMF 1.1.x
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Biology Forums

What do you mean by help with the others?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Biology Forums

You need someone to help fund what? As in the problems that come with SMF's compatibility with PHP 5.5?

margarett

It is doable (although very laborious IMO).
But that's not the main problem. Other incompatibilities will appear in the future. So even if you/we/someone patches the current incompatibility, others will appear in a near future :(

Edit: that being said, I do understand that it's hard to go down the upgrade path in a very customized site... Or like vbgamer said, when someone has lots of sites. Don't think I'm just ditching your reasons, it's not that
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MobileCS

Advertisement: