News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Question regarding database record updates

Started by tdennis, February 21, 2016, 03:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdennis

Pardon my ignorance on SQL but before I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this I thought I would ask first.

Back in the 80/90's,I was an INFORMIX database administrator and there was no problem to find old records and change field contents to whatever I wanted there. How hard is it to do this with SQL? What I would like to figure out how to do is take old records of an ex-member (one of my administrators deletes inactive members but leaves their posts) and link those posts to the same member that has re-joined after a 2 year sickness. This is the second or third occasion where I wanted to do that, just haven't taken the time to see how to do it. (I made the new user ID the exact same as the old one hoping it might link with the user ID but no such luck).

With INFORMIX I could have done this while typing this post!
Dennis

Illori

you should not change the user id at all. that will just cause more issues. you should upgrade to SMF 2.0 and then it has a function to do exactly what you want to do built in.

tdennis

What is involved in upgrading 1.1 to 2.0? Other than that one issue I don't know of any reason to upgrade.
Dennis

Illori

SMF 1.1 is basically at the end of its life. it may not receive any further security updates. also SMF 1.1 does not work with some of the more updated php versions, if your host does upgrade to them then you will have no choice but to upgrade if you want to continue using your forum.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Advertisement: