SMF developer question: How long does it take for mods to be approved?

Started by Wellwisher, February 23, 2016, 04:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellwisher

Developer question: How long do mods take to be approved on Simplemachines.org?

As a new 'SMF mod' developer I am really excited and can't wait to see my mod published.  ;D

It's been two days since I published my mod and it stills says "not approved".  ???

It's a simple mod, with a little .js, .php, and .css!

Illori

they take as long as it takes. those that approve/review the mods are volunteers and do so when they have time.

margarett

Due to the Customization Team's RL constraints, the approval process is really stalled for some weeks/months.
It's not ideal of course, but unfortunately it's just how it is...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Irisado

Quote from: Wellwisher on February 23, 2016, 04:04:26 AM
It's been two days since I published my mod and it stills says "not approved".  ???

Even under normal circumstances having a mod approved in just two days would be unlikely in most cases.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vbgamer45

Depends more than likely 3 to 6 months. Which is part of the reason why I think the approval process needs to end...
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Antes

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 23, 2016, 09:07:22 AM
Depends more than likely 3 to 6 months. Which is part of the reason why I think the approval process needs to end...

Such thing will never agreed by team. But even (for sake of argument) if becomes real, then we no longer assure our users they are safe. Horrible event for our name.

Maybe (maybe) we can talk about "trusted developers" program where certain people such as you can get free pass.

vbgamer45

I did not mean exactly end trying to get the point across. Idealy just a lot less checks are required to get a mod/theme passing....I have detailed this before in the friends forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Wellwisher

This is political matter against developers and the smf volunteers. I kindly would rather not get involved feel free to sort this issue out on another thread. To solve my matter,  I made a paid thread:

$50 to the SMF Team volunteer/ moderator to approve my mod within 24hrs:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=543603.0

This is a serious offer.  Thank you for all your help guys!

Wellwisher

Someone deleted my thread? wth. I was helping to speed up this process.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Wellwisher

Quote from: margarett on February 24, 2016, 12:25:41 AM
Check your PMs ;)

Fair enough. Thank you margarett, I didn't mean it as a bribe or offend anyone. People have RL constraints so I was wanted to contribute towards their time. Can you approve it within 24hrs, you also helped me on my past issues especially that wap problem i am still thankful for, I can just pp you. I seriously don't mind, you've been great to me!

margarett

I understand but as I told you, it's just not how it works... That's not even a possibility, sorry

Wellwisher

Quote from: margarett on February 24, 2016, 12:51:11 AM
I understand but as I told you, it's just not how it works... That's not even a possibility, sorry

Cheers margarett for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if you got my reply message, because it wasn't in my sent messages. I thought members are blocked from contacting SMF staff via PM's or they end up being auto-ignored so I popped the reply above instead.

Again, I would like to stress this wasn't to cause any controversy. I saw SMF accepts donations online via paypal: http://www.simplemachines.org/contribute/donate.php so I felt if my small contribution helped free up some time for SMF staff and lighen their busy schedules, I could donate this to SMF volunteers. They are who matters to this open project. This will not only demonsrate my appreciation but it could also mean other developers mods be approved on the same day. My offer is still open, personally I don't see any harm in it.

Irisado

Donations are not for expediting the approvals process, development process, or any other process here.  Money donated to SMF is never used to pay anyone involved in working on SMF or members of SM.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Wellwisher

Quote from: Irisado on February 24, 2016, 04:54:22 AM
Donations are not for expediting the approvals process, development process, or any other process here.  Money donated to SMF is never used to pay anyone involved in working on SMF or members of SM.

If approval processes take 3 weeks to 6 months, clearily there is a issue with man power. Why not charge a set fee for mod approvals and contribute a precentage of that fee back to the SMF staff... who lets face it, are the blood and life line of your project.
It will bump-up mod productions, contribute funds back into the Simplemachines.org project; developers will be happier and in-return, this will help boost a healthy & thriving 'developer eco-system'. They will pump fresh code back into the SMF project. Happier developers will then convert into new loyal volunteers.

Protecting SMF users against dodgy mods is a great thing but when your approval process is so bad that it puts off new & experienced developers from publishing their Mods... you're decluded. Developers and SMF volunteers are the core life-line of this project and if you hurt this eco-system, it only affects SMF's production and this is evident to me now with SMF 2.1. ;)

You've got a great team and community behind this project, I have warmed to a lot of them. It pains me to see them be buried under a project that can sustain itself. If you have to put SMF 2.1 on hold for another 4 years to get this matter addressed I'd say do it. You guys don't understand the severity of the problems you're creating for your own project.  ;D

Illori

we dont pay team members, we dont plan on paying team members. it will never happen. it is not fair if some team members get paid for doing their task they volunteered for and others dont get paid for what they do. even if we were to pay team members unless it was enough to make it worth their time they would not put in the effort. they may also just not have the time to do what is necessary due to real life coming first. you dont know if they are busy or maybe sick or in the hospital, it happens.

Irisado

Quote from: Wellwisher on February 24, 2016, 06:53:21 AM
If approval processes take 3 weeks to 6 months, clearily there is a issue with man power.

Personnel or people power, not man power :).

QuoteWhy not charge a set fee for mod approvals and contribute a precentage of that fee back to the SMF staff... who lets face it, are the blood and life line of your project.
It will bump-up mod productions, contribute funds back into the Simplemachines.org project; developers will be happier and in-return, this will help boost a healthy & thriving 'developer eco-system'. They will pump fresh code back into the SMF project. Happier developers will then convert into new loyal volunteers.

In addition to Illori's response, there are few other issues with this.  The first is that money does not equal happiness.  You're not going to make the developers or anyone else happier just by paying them.  It's also worth highlighting that this assumes that developers are unhappy to start with, which is taking a leap in the dark, since I doubt you've had profound personal conversations with any team members about how happy or unhappy they are ;).  The second is that money does not automatically result in increased productivity.  It's an overly simplistic position to take, as it ignores a number of factors, such as real life matters, the pressure it can bring, the discussions that would have to held about expectations, and the inequality and ill feeling it would create among those team members who would not be paid.

QuoteProtecting SMF users against dodgy mods is a great thing but when your approval process is so bad that it puts off new & experienced developers from publishing their Mods

It's slow not bad.  There is a difference, as I'm sure you will appreciate :).

Antes

@Irisado isn't menpower a term ? or some old sexist thing ?

Please stay far away from "offering" money or asking a loyality "pay-up" program for approvals/development. I personally don't work here for money (which i can say the very same for rest of the team).

Irisado

Quote from: Antes on February 24, 2016, 08:34:46 AM

It's both.  I just find it anachronistic, given how many women have previously worked and currently work on the Team.

Antes

Quote from: Irisado on February 24, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
Quote from: Antes on February 24, 2016, 08:34:46 AM

It's both.  I just find it anachronistic, given how many women have previously worked and currently work on the Team.

I'm all for gender equality don't get me wrong on that :P People power it is then...

Advertisement: