Softaculous: New version of SMF not recognised after patching

Started by Alk2, February 29, 2016, 04:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alk2

Hello,

I find Softaculous' notifications helpful to alert me to sites that are out of date...but I don't use Softaculous to upgrade SMF to the new version.
So I patched using the package manager from 2.0.8 to 2.0.11...all good - in the SMF Admin CP it shows that I am running 2.0.11.
However, Softaculous still thinks that I am running 2.0.8. With other software, I can go into Softaculous -> it will recognise a different version is running and prompt you to update the Softaculous records.

So I contacted Softaculous about this bug...and they came back to say:

QuoteIt looks like your database is not updated hence Softaculous did not update the records.

The SMF version in your database is still 2.0.8

You can confirm the same by executing the following query in your database :
SELECT * FROM `smf_settings` WHERE `variable` = 'smfVersion';

...and they are right.
So Softaculous is looking in the DB and it is still showing 2.0.8.

So it appears that after patching, the DB was not updated with the new version number.

As I say, in the Admin CP, it shows that I am running 2.0.11.

• Is it normal for the patch to not update the version in the DB?
  • ...or should Softaculous be looking somewhere else for a more reliable version number? (and if so, where please?)

I am determined to get to the bottom of whether it is a bug with SMF patching or Softaculous and do my bit!

Thank you for your help.

Illori

there are no database updates/changes since SMF 2.0. you can ignore that message.

Alk2

Thank you for your reply, but you have misunderstood. :)

I am trying to get to the bottom of whether the reason why Softaculous is not recognising that I have patched to a new version is due to a bug in SMF not updating the version number in the DB (see my 1st post on where Softaculous is looking) or if it is because Softaculous is looking in the wrong place.

Illori

the version in the database will NOT change. we dont update that number when you patch to a new version.

Alk2

OK, thank you for confirming this (it is what I thought).

Right, would you be able to suggest a more reliable place for Softaculous to query for the version number please?
(...because clearly SMF knows what version it is on!).

I'll then go back to Softaculous to suggest the improvement that they must make...

Thank you.

Alk2

Actually, I have done some searching and deep in the results I think I have found my answer:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=345459.0

So I'll go back to Softaculous and point them accordingly in the right direction.

Thank you

Illori

the main index.php file in the root of the install

* @version 2.0.11

and a few lines below

$forum_version = 'SMF 2.0.11';

softaculous

Hi,

I am from the Softaculous team.

Thank you for reporting this issue and providing the details about the version system in SMF.

We have made the changes in our SMF package to detect the version from index.php and will release the updated package by the end of day.
Softaculous - Auto Installer [nofollow] for cPanel and Direct Admin
Rate for the software you love the best [nofollow]
Rate for SMF [nofollow]
The only Auto Installer that installs 350+ apps.
Install SMF in just ONE STEP!

softaculous

Hi,

We have released the updated SMF package with the fix.

Thank you for reporting the issue.
Softaculous - Auto Installer [nofollow] for cPanel and Direct Admin
Rate for the software you love the best [nofollow]
Rate for SMF [nofollow]
The only Auto Installer that installs 350+ apps.
Install SMF in just ONE STEP!

Advertisement: