News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to optimize my website load time?

Started by BryanWalters, March 09, 2016, 04:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanWalters

Hello All,

Have already tried compressing data, minifying css & JS.

What are the other things that I can do to optimize my website speed?

Thanks in advance

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

青山 素子

Are you on a dedicated server or a VPS with a non-oversold host? If you're on shared hosting or using an overselling host, you're gonna have trouble no matter how much optimization you do on your stuff.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

unshackleddynamo

In addition to the above (especially Kindred's post, please do read that link), there's only so much you can do.

Beyond what's listed in Kindred's suggested reading, it's pretty dependent on your forum and server. What's your goal? If it's just a "I want to measure how fast it is" situation, I'd encourage you not to stay in that mindset (even if it's for Google, as they only put so much emphasis on page load speed when it comes to ranking).

As something concrete, though, something that many people overlook is HTTP/2(https://http2.github.io/faq/ [nofollow]). If you've enabled SSL (https) on your forum, you can likely enable HTTP2 by installing a module (it's much easier for Apache than nginx). Whether or not this will help is of question, but the addition of multiplexing in HTTP/2 ends up being pretty helpful in some cases. Note that HTTP/2 provides many of the same benefits as SPDY (if you're familiar with it). HTTP/2 is, more or less, replacing SPDY.

BryanWalters

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your valuable thoughts with me.

qc

It would be helpful to know whether it is the server or the connection to the server (roundtrip) which is slow - in the later case and if you have a lot of assets (images, JS, CSS) e.g. from your theme or custom mods, you should check if the appropriate caching headers are sent to the browser. You can simply press F12 and klick on the network tab in Chrome of Firefox before reloading your website to see a timeline of the loading process. If provided by your host, you could also enable gzip compression / mod deflate and activating the PHP opcache.
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

BryanWalters

Quote from: qc on May 03, 2016, 09:14:40 AM
It would be helpful to know whether it is the server or the connection to the server (roundtrip) which is slow - in the later case and if you have a lot of assets (images, JS, CSS) e.g. from your theme or custom mods, you should check if the appropriate caching headers are sent to the browser. You can simply press F12 and klick on the network tab in Chrome of Firefox before reloading your website to see a timeline of the loading process. If provided by your host, you could also enable gzip compression / mod deflate and activating the PHP opcache.

This makes right sense to me. Thanks for sharing tips to optimize my website data I am also thinking over to upgrade my hosting package to optimize my website speed. Perhaps Linux VPS package this time :)

青山 素子

Quote from: BryanWalters on May 11, 2016, 07:15:43 AM
I am also thinking over to upgrade my hosting package to optimize my website speed. Perhaps Linux VPS package this time :)

It depends on traffic and the hosting company. A good hosting company's shared plan will go a lot further than an overseller. A VPS requires a good bit of server admin knowledge, especially if it's unmanaged.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

BryanWalters

It depends on traffic and the hosting company. A good hosting company's shared plan will go a lot further than an overseller. A VPS requires a good bit of server admin knowledge, especially if it's unmanaged.

Can you please suggest some good hosting provider that can offer me right hosting solution in affordable prices?

青山 素子

The companies that advertise in our hosting board are usually screened to make sure they are above-board. You can look at those offers to get an idea of what to look for when shopping around.
Motoko-chan

mehmetceylan

BryanWalters

Quote from: 青山 素子 on May 13, 2016, 01:01:03 PM
The companies that advertise in our hosting board are usually screened to make sure they are above-board. You can look at those offers to get an idea of what to look for when shopping around.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Milly Delevingne

1. Get clear on how you want your site to work.

2. Stop throwing money at the wrong problem.

3. Be mindful of mobile.

4. Manage your image sizes.

5. Examine JavaScript coding.

BryanWalters

Quote from: Milly Delevingne on May 19, 2016, 05:51:55 AM
1. Get clear on how you want your site to work.

2. Stop throwing money at the wrong problem.

3. Be mindful of mobile.

4. Manage your image sizes.

5. Examine JavaScript coding.

Thanks for sharing the tips.

But, your suggestions seem very generic and do not clearly explain what changes actually needed. I would really appreciate if you could explain the process of points you shared across.

leghorn23

Make 100% sure you're using gzip compression on output. Even minifying does little compared to real compression. In addition, you can enable more aggressive caching so it simply doesn't touch your server.

Advertisement: