News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Topic & PM Notifications Privacy

Started by Deprecated, March 16, 2016, 02:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj.

I like the idea of this mod, I've used similar on other systems, and am thinking about installing it.  I'm presuming that the reasoning for not allowing individual user control is it that sender and receiver would then know that their PM text would not appear in email as the result of the notification, is that correct?

-Rock Lee-

@Deprecated very good work indeed  8) ... had a doubt in the file PMNP.hooks.php on line 22 and 49 what does it say:

die('<b>Error:</b> Cannot install - please verify you put this file in the same place as SMF\'s SSI.php.');

echo 'Congratulations! You have successfully installed this mod!';

also I was not sure I translated and I'll leave if you need it:

die('<b>Error:</b> No se puede instalar - por favor, compruebe si este archivo esta en el mismo lugar que SMF y SSI.php.');

echo 'Felicitaciones! Se ah instalado con &eacute;xito este mod!';

and I attached the other 2 files translated into Latin Spanish  ;D

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Deprecated

Thank you for the compliments. I originally conceived of this mod because I was constructing a new production forum, and realized that anybody who could intercept emails could read our all. That just does not sit well with me. Here in the US we have the government reading and logging all our emails. Like I want the 'gummint' reading our messages?

It occurred to me that there was an easy solution: give control to the forum operators. You pick what appears in PM, topic and notification emails. If you want, all the recipient gets is a notification, they have to visit the forum to find out what's all about.

That's just fine with me. If the "gummint" wants to join my forum they can read the topics (actually all my topics except the admin section can be read by guests).

I just wanted to plug this leak in forum notification emails. I believe I have succeeded.

And the selection is at the admin's choice because only the admin knows what information he/she wants to leak. It was intentionally a forum admin selection, not a per-member selection.

As admin I assert my right to choose what my members leak in email. My settings leak nothing except a link to the topic (topic notifications) or a leak (who sent it) to PM notifications.

You'll get no satisfaction intercepting OUR email notification unless (1) it is a topic viewable by guests, or (2) you are the member who received the PM notification.

This was a big security hole and I'm glad I plugged it up. Install  this mod and you as forum admin can control what information (if any) appears in forum notifications. In the extreme all members will see will be links to PMs only they can read, and links to posts that members who have access to the topics.

Hey if you (the gummint) don't have access to the topics, then KMA.

Advertisement: