News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

registration agreement won't load

Started by RudiJan, March 17, 2016, 11:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RudiJan

I recently switched hosts and reinstalled the forum & database. All is good except when I go to 'admin' and select 'registration', and then 'registration agreement'. the registrationIt exists in the forum directory and has permissions set to 755. Instead of the agreement.txt file loading it switches back to the main screen (home).

When I hover over the 'registration agreement' it displays the path as 'http://www.__________.net/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=regcenter;ae98e37c=fc604759bb32249c94d9a67babfbf16f'

What do I need to do to get the agreement to load properly? What did I break  :(

Kindred

the reaction of the system sounds like your host has mod_security configured poorly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RudiJan

I just logged out of my forum and went to register a new user and the agreement.txt file loaded NP. So I assume that new registrants will still see it. That's what counts I guess. I can always change it with an editor. Still... I don't like anomalies, even small ones. But thanks for your reply.

RudiJan

Seems the same problem occurs when I am checking for 'unapproved members' - it just flips back to 'home'. It must be a filter or string that goes nowhere in the database. Guess I'll root around in in the DB to see if I can match the bad string.

Shambles

Quote from: Kindred on March 17, 2016, 11:45:28 AM
the reaction of the system sounds like your host has mod_security configured poorly.

That'd be my diagnosis too, given that you said...

Quote from: RudiJan
I recently switched hosts ...

Kindred

It is not a database issue.

Your issues is almost certainly related to mod_security and a bad configuration by the host...  And even if it's not mod_security, it is definitely still a host side issue

...  Unless....

Do you have Wordpress installed on the same domain?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RudiJan

I installed a test forum and it does the same so I quite believe you. :/

I just moved to http://www.webserve.ca/ [nofollow] but the billing went to

Merchant
HostPapa Inc.
[email protected]

they do have wordpress available but it's not something I have ever used.

So... I take it that I need to submit a support ticket to webserve.ca [nofollow] - is there anything specific I should include that would be of help to them?

Kindred

just ask them to disable mod_security for your account.   SMF is cleanly coded and does not need that...
Слaва
Украинi

RudiJan

Quote from: Kindred on March 21, 2016, 11:44:00 AM
just ask them to disable mod_security for your account.   SMF is cleanly coded and does not need that...

I really hate this when I get caught between a host and the software people.

This was webserve's answer when I asked them to disable mod_security for my account.

QuoteWe don't change the settings on a server side as many other clients could be affected, but you could adjust your php.ini located in /home/freed385/etc/php,ini

So I backed everything up as they suggested, looked at the php.ini file and found nothing that says mod_security. What setting should I be changing, assuming that what they suggest works...

... attached the php.ini file

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

RudiJan

Yeah I found that earlier. I copied the code and made a .htaccess file but I can't upload it to the root.

Kindred

you probably already HAVE an .htaccess file...    try going in using the host's control panel/file manager instead of ftp.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: