News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Newbie copletely lost

Started by SimonWoodall, March 24, 2016, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonWoodall

So I downloaded SMF 2 dot whatever, created a Forum directory on my site, uploaded and followed the Install instructions.
When all was complete I went to "my site"/forum/index and there was the Forum, but laid out in a directory like manner that I did not understand.  So I thought "I need a theme to lay it out properly" So I managed to load a theme,.  I now have a Forum but I have no boards, no way of setting up stuff.   The guides here on the SMF site talk about an "Administration Center" but where is that?  Should I see it on my Forum somewhere?   

margarett

Hi and welcome to sm.org ;)

If you were able to install SMF, that means that your server runs PHP. Good :)
If you go to your forum's URL and you get the listed files instead of a forum looked like this one, then your index.php isn't being processed (or was somehow deleted).
Can you give us a link to your forum?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

i think the op has been hit by the URL not being set correctly for themes after the initial install.

take a look at What is repair_settings.php?

SimonWoodall

I've uploaded the repair_settings.php, and turned on Maintenance mode
I've gone back to the original theme
I'm still totally lost
www.themotorcyclingclub/forum/index

Shambles

Can you supply the correct URL to your club?

http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/

Looks like you haven't actually run the repair_settings tool.

Shambles

I just ran it for you ;)

Don't forget to delete the repair tool.

Advertisement: