Invite only threads

Started by i-framed-vader, April 06, 2016, 05:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i-framed-vader

I think a great idea would be private threads, where without the permission as a user you cannot view them, I've seen a few SMF forums have this and I've been looking for it for my forum but looks like they had it made for them, I think this would be great to have in SMF, where you can create private threads, and invite users to your thread using their username to give them access :)

Kindred

sorry, that is contrary to how SMF works as a core product...

SMF does not control any permission by user... all permissions are based on the membergroup.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

i-framed-vader

That's where I don't understand because you've said this but half the SMF forums I've visited have this available in not sure how they would have done this :0

Kindred

well, personally, I can not see the use of the feature....

however, if any SMF site has this, then they used a mod which worked around the basic system that SMF uses.
As I said - SMF bases all permissions on membergroup - not on individual user.

I'm not a dev, but I can't see this ever being a core feature...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

i-framed-vader

Well that's sort of what I'm suggesting is maybe the option of member group, but person by person permissions, and that could release the option for many other new features :)

Colin

Hi i-framed-vader,

I'm interested by this too. Would you mind pointing me to an SMF instance that has this functionality implemented.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kindred

person by person permissions get insanely complicated and are, overall, basically useless in 99.9% of the situations.
Additionally, since people alreayd have gobs of questions on why X permission does something or why Z membergroup has the permissions to do something -- adding individual user permissions would just make things worse...

So, again, while I am not a developer, and they might choose to do that -- I don't see it happening any time in the foreseeable future -- definitely not for 2.1

it would require a complete redesign of every permission that the system uses -- basically re-write the whole shebang.
Слaва
Украинi

i-framed-vader

I'd look on feralfront has a good use of this Colin :)

Well I don't know it just seems almost like.. I visit most other forum creators, most other social media of any sort and this is a option, I don't see why it wouldn't be especially for a forum site, this should be something included or a available mod, even if it came in two or three parts. It almost seems a little silly to me ^_^ and not have EVERYTHING made by person by person, you could have the hierarchy still, but maybe even just for threads, have it so that they can be private unless personally invited.. I mean it might not be simple to set up but I've seen so many SMF forum owners with this, or requesting it to me it seems like it would be worth doing :)

Kindred

YIKES!  That site is WAY behind in security updates....

and yet again, I will state that what you are asking for would not be useful or used by 99% of the admins

So -- mod -- sure...  if you can find someone to code it.
feature.... unlikely
Слaва
Украинi

i-framed-vader

XD haha just a example in what I'm trying to show, the creator of that forum has made another forum, they don't check onto it too often anymore apparently, I haven't RPed on it myself for quite awhile honestly but I used to love it, and the private threads was a huge thing everyone loved ^_^

i-framed-vader

Well when you say that that's even where when searching for it I've seen so many threads of people asking if this is a thing or a mod they are unaware of, I'm not saying they have to do this its just a simple request that they can look into, or just ignore, it's not a big deal this is just a idea for the people who control all such to look into

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

i-framed-vader

*stares at blaze* your a superhero

JBlaze

Haha :)

Moving this to Mod Requests because I don't see it becoming a default feature.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

i-framed-vader

Colin

Excellent. I suppose I should have thought to check there. Useful mod!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: