Simplemachines.org down - Apologies

Started by Tony Reid, October 26, 2005, 08:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Reid

Dear members,

Apologies for the site being unavailable this past hour and a half.

The issue was due to  a couple of services failing.

I have now resolved the fault and all appears to be normal.

Kind Regards,

Tony
www.lewismedia.com
Tony Reid

Elmacik

it started to go down more frequently i think. arent i right?
but well, still here :)
Home of Elmacik

J. Williams

Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Love Calm Quiet

So I'm totally new here... just evaluating a test forum using SMF... and it's kind of disturbing to discover (partly by experience and partly by watching your site's performance at hxxp:watchmouse.com [nonactive]) that (too) frequently during the day things are down (on the 28th, not just the 26th). 

Sometimes the site would either take forever to start D/Ling or would time out.  Another time or two it was up but was "too heavily in use" to permit SEARCH function to be used.

Since we are (potential) customers here, it would be helpful if someone said something about SPECs of YOUR system - hardware config, etc...  and number of users you might have when you are "too heavily in use" - that might give us an idea what we need to look for in a HOSTing service if we may get heavy use of our sight.
Thanks a lot for any information a MOD might be willing to come forward with.

Tony Reid

Hi,

This server has been in use for a couple of years now and to current standards it could be classed as low spec.

The recent outage was due to a mail script called exim and also BIND(DNS) problems - it was in no way related to simplemachines forum(SMF).

The server isn't only used for this forum either - its also *very heavily* used as a development machine.

Recent issues have highlighted that we need to upgrade to a new server and this is currently being looked into - we hope to have a replacement very soon.

Server problems aside, I would like to add that SMF out performs many message board systems on a like for like basis.

Take a look in the showcase section of this board and you will notice that all sites on paid hoisting services run particularly well.

Tony

Tony Reid

Trekkie101

QuoteSince we are (potential) customers here, it would be helpful if someone said something about SPECs of YOUR system - hardware config, etc...  and number of users you might have when you are "too heavily in use" - that might give us an idea what we need to look for in a HOSTing service if we may get heavy use of our sight.
Thanks a lot for any information a MOD might be willing to come forward with.
Its actually all here, just sparsed out among the forum.

Its a Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512MB RAM (last time it was noted), and runs Red Hat 9 (But things may have changed a bit since then), cPanel, and it takes quite a few users searching without any problems, but can max out a bit. A new server has apparently been ordered (chit chat) and will be moved to asap but that seems to be taking its time, which is kind of understandable it needs hardened and such, SMF is a big thing and needs to be well secured.

J. Williams

Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Dannii

No, because sourceforge would probably not accept the licence.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Love Calm Quiet

Kind of amazing to get this message at 7am on Sat morning (although "211 people online"): 

First I got (searching): "Database error:  please try again; then report if error again."

Second I got (searching again): Due to high stress on the server, the search function has been automatically and temporarily disabled. Please try again in a short while. 
[ The second is a message I got several times yesterday while trying to get introduced to SMF ]

I think I gotta agree that an upgraded server is a real need.

Love Calm Quiet

Having just discovered hxxp:watchmouse.com [nonactive], the results for SMF are puzzling. 
One minute I see that its attempt to access SMF times out from everywhere:

The next minute it's finding that SMF can be accessed from everywhere with only a 1-3ms resolve time.

Maybe that's the result of one moment several searches are being run; then next moment everyone has gone for coffee?

Sys_ZERO

Quote from: scs on October 29, 2005, 08:02:33 AM
Or could be put on sourceforge?
Why wouldn't SourceForge accept the license?

What is in SMF's license that SourceForge wouldn't accept?

Sys_ZERO

Dannii

I doubt they would accept the part that denies people to redistribute SMF. It's open source, free (as in beer) and awesome, but it's not actually Free Software (as in speech).
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Sys_ZERO

Quote from: eldacar on October 30, 2005, 01:47:51 AM
I doubt they would accept the part that denies people to redistribute SMF. It's open source, free (as in beer) and awesome, but it's not actually Free Software (as in speech).
They accepted YabbSE :P

Sys_ZERO

J. Williams

Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Ben_S

Only if you want it 10000 times slower.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

JayBachatero

Quote from: Ben_S on October 30, 2005, 06:13:15 AM

Only if you want it 10000 times slower.

Yes thats very true.  try to access the coppermine gallery forums.  take 20 decades to go in  at times.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Elmacik

This database is 2 days old :o Why is this needed?
Home of Elmacik

ladyloulee

dont know about anyone else but im still getting alot of errors when i try to access the boards on this forum :(
getting lots of errors on my own too :(
lou  x

JayBachatero

Quote from: Elmacik on November 02, 2005, 03:25:07 AM
This database is 2 days old :o Why is this needed?

Yea i just noticed that.  I saw over 40 posts of mines gone.  But atleast we are back up and running.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Trekkie101

Don't give up all hope yet, they are still working on it, check the amount of database errors, they'll maybe add the rest of the data back if they have it soon, but this servers just got a bit more to go, something must be running thats holding the server back a bit, check the generation times.

Advertisement: