News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Are there any mod for browser notifications?

Started by Kaio Macedo, April 29, 2016, 01:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaio Macedo

Are there any mod for browser notifications?

This is required to allow notify:

The notification is thus:

Arantor

Not for 2.0, though 2.1 has this as a feature I think.

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on April 29, 2016, 06:45:15 AM

it should, but i dont know how well it actually works as i have not tested it.

Arantor

I'll be giving 2.1 a serious run through soon and testing everything.

qc

Pretty interesting feature, though it only works on the desktop. Well, Chrome supports push notifications on Android and Chrome OS, but that requires a lot of additional work (see Google Cloud Messaging).

Quote from: Arantor on April 29, 2016, 06:45:15 AM
I am curious: Does 2.1 have a built-in communication channel (polling, websocket, ...) from the server to the client so it can send such notifications?

@Kaio Macedo: For 2.0.x, manually adding desktop notification support to e.g. the enotify modification would probably be the way to go.
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

vbgamer45

I thought this feature requires an SSL site am I wrong on that?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

If you're using real notifications to device (APNS, GCM etc) SSL is required. Not 100% sure desktop notifications need it.

IIRC 2.1 does it with polling if you leave the tab open, but not sure if that's any different to anyone else mostly because I never looked into doing it on desktop. Note that a WebSockets solution on PHP is not a place anyone would want to go owing to the required persistent connection that PHP doesn't exactly do well with.

Biology Forums

Does SMF 2.1 have browser notifications like modern websites do?

What notifications does it give?

Advertisement: