News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Finding the right template

Started by Goldengirl71, April 30, 2016, 01:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengirl71

Hi all,

I am trying to find an appropriate template to use for my site.  I don't see any links so that I can view some of your more basic forums.  I will list some options I would like to have, and that may help with you suggesting templates.

Simple to navigate (for the less internet savvy)
options for attachments
options for uploading photos from their own computer (they don't need a URL link to Flicker/photobucket)
private messaging
option to delete their profiles

Maybe some of these options are already included, and I may see where new things need to be added as I go.  I imagine there are a few things that I will just have to add, or allow as an administrator.

I'm sure you can see I have a lot to learn, and have forgotten many things I've read about over the last, few years:)  Well, that's why I'm here, to learn;) Denise

PS I'll attach a snip of how I what I would like as far as the "posting" and "reply" format:)

Goldengirl71

Thanks for moving this to the right place:)  Also, if anyone stops in, I used to come here when I was first thinking of putting together a forum.  At that time, if I remember right, I could go in and look at several templates to choose from.  Do you still have that option somewhere?  I'll look a bit more, I may have just missed the link:)  ty much, Denise

Oh man, I just found it, so sorry.  Ok, I have all the themes to look at now.  I will look for one, and then if I have questions, I'll try to post in the right place. Sorry bout that.

Goldengirl71

Ok, so I found one that looks fine, although it's only a bit bigger than a thumbnail.  There's a link that says "demo" but when I click it, it takes me right back the the main section where you can see all the different themes (thumbnail size, or like I said, a bit bigger. 

Can I get a full size view of the template without downloading it?

edit:  I found that some you can get a full-size demo, so got the answer to that.  I found a template that I like, the DS Natural (here's the link: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=749)  It doesn't seem to be responsive thought, and I need that for sure.

There used to be a simple code to add in, that made a template responsive.  Is that still possible, and is it possible with this theme?

Thank you all, for any help that may come my way. 

qc

Well, I had a look at that theme and it can be modified to adapt itself to your screen size (which would make it a bit responsive) by...

...adding <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> directly after the opening <head> tag in the index.template.php file

...and replacing .wrapper with the following code in the css/index.css file
.wrapper {
    min-width: 500px;
    max-width: 1200px;
}

There is no simple way to make a non-responsive theme fully responsive.
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

Goldengirl71

Ok, I do appreciate your reply.  I think I will do something a bit simpler.  Thank you again:)

qc

Quote from: abbynormal on April 30, 2016, 08:40:33 PM
Ok, I do appreciate your reply.  I think I will do something a bit simpler.  Thank you again:)
If you like, I can help you through the process of making these two changes to that theme. You would need to install the theme on your forum, then use the build-in editor to find and replace the two entries I pointed out above.

Or - perhaps even better - you might find a fully responsive theme for your SMF. For your third requirement "options for uploading photos from their own computer (they don't need a URL link to Flicker/photobucket)" you might want to browse through the available mods.
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

Goldengirl71

Ok qc,

I am too tired to try anything more today, but I will think about going ahead with a simplemachines template.  I am pretty sure if I look further, I can find a responsive theme and not have to change things.

It's a senior forum I'll be building so I was hoping to find one even the right color so I don't have to change that, lol;)  I just don't want to have to make a lot of changes.  Sometimes I think it's just overwhelming when there are so many choices, plus the fact that I have never built a website. 

Thanks again, you've really been helpful:)  I'll be around in the a.m. pst, so I don't know if we'll meet up again, depending on when you are on here:) denise

Goldengirl71

Thanks, except I see I used the word used, instead of "use to" lol, and that's one I forget often;)

Advertisement: