News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

What's the best free .gif editor?

Started by pulpitfire, January 29, 2004, 11:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulpitfire

what's the best free (no time limit) .gif editor, that will let me create and edit .gif files like most programs let you edit .bmp or .jpg? 

Spaceman-Spiff

since the GIF filetype itself is not free, it's probably very very rare for a GIF editor program to be free...

maybe there's a program that reads GIF and other files but outputs in PNG,
try looking in sourceforge...
unless if you want to do animated GIF...

pulpitfire

Peter Duggan

* Peter Duggan uses Xara X, Xara 3D, Photoshop and IrfanView (which is an excellent free editor but not a creator).

alienine

pulpitfire

sheesh...$150...you guys must really invest.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: pege on January 30, 2004, 03:58:40 PM
sheesh...$150...you guys must really invest.

If that's a reference to Xara X, it's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe it as expensive! :o

Free stuff is great, but folk still have to make a living and $150 is nothing for a program of Xara's quality. So, while I use freeware and shareware programs when they fit the bill, I'm afraid the whole culture of expecting computing things (software, web hosting, you name it) to be free strikes me as somewhat optimistic when we know that things in shops cost us money, which usually means difficult choices/compromises over what to buy.

charlottezweb

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 30, 2004, 04:13:30 PM

Free stuff is great, but folk still have to make a living and $150 is nothing for a program of Xara's quality. So, while I use freeware and shareware programs when they fit the bill, I'm afraid the whole culture of expecting computing things (software, web hosting, you name it) to be free strikes me as somewhat optimistic when we know that things in shops cost us money, which usually means difficult choices/compromises over what to buy.

agreed.

-Jason

pulpitfire

thanks for the tip.  if i ever plan to spend $150, i'll probably go Xara.

Quote... Please do not reply just to say "me too". -[Unknown] ...

mephisto_kur

She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

Cccddd

yeah. the gimp is definitely the best free image editor out there.

pulpitfire

thanks...i knew there had to be something for free :)

mephisto_kur

Just keep in mind to follow the instructions for loading the GIF plug-in.  The free\non-Linux version of GIMP doesn't do gif out of the box due to licensing issues.  There is a download link and instructions for the plugin right on that page linked above.
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

pulpitfire

Quote from: mephisto_kur on February 02, 2004, 11:06:54 AM
Just keep in mind to follow the instructions for loading the GIF plug-in.  The free\non-Linux version of GIMP doesn't do gif out of the box due to licensing issues.  There is a download link and instructions for the plugin right on that page linked above.

yep, good note.  i read that also, and it works for me when you do what it says.

Cccddd

this wont be an issue in less than a year, when the patent or whatever it is on gif's expires.

mephisto_kur

The patent has already expired in much of the world.  The problem is it hasn't expired in all of it - different patent laws in different countries.

pulpitfire

on the gimp site, they said it already expired in the U.S.  i can't wait till all the good freebies start rolling out :).

Paul_Pauline

I use this free online one  http://www.online-image-editor.com/

It will crop , resize, even take gifs apart if you want   ;)
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Advertisement: