News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cache Not Writable on a Windows Server

Started by NeedIt, May 02, 2016, 09:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeedIt

I've got a Windows server running SMF and am getting this error:

"!!Performance Warning
The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum."

Of course, I did a search on this and it looks like it is usually a permissions issue.  Can I assume that the user that is running the forum does not have r/w access - remember I am on Windows - to the /forum/cache directory? 

I'd like to get the proper permissions here for security reasons, i.e. I don't want to grant too much or too little.

LiroyvH

Yes that's the correct assumption, the cache folder needs to be writable as it can't store anything in it if it's read-only.
Good to see that you're trying to lock down permissions properly on your website. Locking them down can be a little inconvenient sometimes (eg: need to change permissions if you want to change certain settings, or upload a theme for example.), but does offer better security.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

NeedIt

Quote from: CoreISP on May 02, 2016, 09:24:29 PM
Yes that's the correct assumption, the cache folder needs to be writable as it can't store anything in it if it's read-only.
Good to see that you're trying to lock down permissions properly on your website. Locking them down can be a little inconvenient sometimes (eg: need to change permissions if you want to change certain settings, or upload a theme for example.), but does offer better security.

Thx.  (I get lots of spam - Ukraine and Russia usually - and don't need that kind of trouble...)

Advertisement: