News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Asking for login even though I'm logged in?

Started by MarkoKg, May 03, 2016, 07:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkoKg

Hey all,

I have a weird problem on my forum (2.0.11).

When I'm on the front page of the forum (index page) it shows that I'm logged in, I can see all boards etc, but when I click on any board, topic - it's asking me to login! When I go back to index by clicking "home" button - I'm still logged in!
Note that I can access to Admin panel, but I don't know how to fix this.
I tried to do a large upgrade, it didn't helped. Tried to change cookie name, clear cache folder (but it's empty except index and .htaccess files), nothing helped.
Note that this is happening with all members, not just mine (admin) account, and note that I triple-checked permissions - it's not blocking anyone from seeing boards and topics. Also - as i did large upgrade the forum is clear and there's no mods installed.

Any suggestions?

update: another weird thing I just noticed in admin panel:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.11
Current SMF version: [object HTMLElement]

and in the "Live from Simple Machines" box it's showing: You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.
Also, when I try to install new mods it throws me a login screen.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MarkoKg

Here's image attached.

I also tried to de-check the last two boxes, but it also didn't helped.

Illori

MarkoKg

Sure. the link is:
http://gtpopping.com/forum/index.php

MarkoKg

Okay, the Live from Simple Machines box is now showing news, although I didn't do anything.

The problem with the login thing still exist though.

qc

It seems that parts of your SMF URLs contain the www subdomain, while others don't. Try fixing this by removing the www subdomain from all URLs (SMF and themes settings) and report back if the problem persists. Alternatively you could explicitly set the domain name for your SMF cookies which then would make them accessible on all subdomains (but I don't know if SMF has an admin panel option for that).
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

MarkoKg

There's an option "Use subdomain independent cookies" - I just turned that one on, but still have a problem.

Anyway, I don't see a "www" in urls anywhere, in theme settings nor in URLs on forum, can you please clarify where did you find those urls?

Thanks for your answer! :)

qc

Quote from: MarkoKg on May 03, 2016, 08:32:12 PM
Anyway, I don't see a "www" in urls anywhere, in theme settings nor in URLs on forum, can you please clarify where did you find those urls?
Well, your forum logo points to a www subdomain
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

MarkoKg

Oh, yea, there may be some images pointing to www subdomain, but that's manually added URLs in template, it's not in theme settings or something, so those few images should not affect this login thing though.

Any other suggestions, i'm stuck, I was thinking that large upgrade will fix the problem but still nothing.

qc

Giving us access to a privileged temporary account allowing us to click on a board link and experience the error might help a lot  :)

MarkoKg

qc

The problem could be caused by a "pretty urls" modification on your forum, probably (just guessing) because of a bad .htaccess redirection configuration.

Your board links are written as e.g. http://gtpopping.com/forum/index.php/topic,81.0.html while they would look like http://gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=81.0 with the standard configuration.

Kindred

no... that's not prettyurls.... that is the admin option for SEF.   Turn that off.... it is uselsss.  It's left over form a time when Search Engines didn't deal well with pages which were not called .html
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MarkoKg

Whoa, I didn't even thought that it could cause the problem! Yea, I turned that off and it's working fine now. What a waste of time dealing with upgrades when the solution was so easy :P
Thanks for your help guys, you rock!

MarkoKg

Update: I still can't install any mods, it throws me a login page when i click on install and when I click on admin button or home button I can see that I'm still logged in.
Not sure if it's related to this SEF thing, but that problem is left after I turned that SEF off.

Illori

ask your host to disable mod_security. that should fix the issue.

Advertisement: