News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Install advice please

Started by phishinfool, May 07, 2016, 09:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishinfool

I am having a nightmare of a time.

Recently a few friends and i acquired gemstone.smfforfree.com and we wish to move it to my hosting on godaddy.

Problem is, the owner of smfforfree.com never upgraded his program to a current platform and is still running a 1.1.x forum based program.

I purchased his SQL file dump containing the images and backup of the server.
BUT, its unusable..its 128mb in size, i cant use it to restore the group on my server, nothing is working and i cannot install a 1.1.x forum platform in a sub folder to upgrade a test forum to the current SMF with it installed for some reason.

Any help appreciated.

phishinfool

any way to find out exactly which one of the 1.1.x forum platforms this guy is running on the smfforfree servers?

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php

phishinfool

Admin, is there a reputable tech here that can install the old sql forum (server dump) to my godaddy hosting for a fee?
For security reasons, i would need an admin referral of a tech, not letting just anybody in the backside of my hosting.

phishinfool

I have uploaded all the install files for 1.1.1 and higher to my FTP folder, i tried running the installer to install an older version of SMF.
When i try running the install.php it disconnects from the server even with proper server paths.

I know i have to install a 1.1.x based forum and then upgrade to a current SMF, its impossible though if i cannot install the 1.1.x based program though.

Illori

i think a good bit of your problem is who you selected for your host. godaddy is known for causing issues. i bet if you tried on a non-oversold host you will 1, get help from your host uploading the database and 2 fewer issues installing SMF.

Sir Osis of Liver

Sounds like your main problem is you can't import the 128mb database.  Upload the db dump to a directory in your GD account, ask support to import it.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

phishinfool

ive had the same hosting for years and years with no issues, i always updated my forum within a week of a new update going public.
i have never had the install issue that "Cannot connect to server" with the install.php until now.
No matter what internet browser i use.

phishinfool

on the installer, proper password, database name and username complete with database routing, still cannot cennect to database.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you successfully import the database backup from old forum into new database for new forum?

- R. Waters

phishinfool

nope
I cant even get the installer to install the forum, it just disconnects from the internet every time i try running it.
Proper passwrd, server link, database name, username and all.

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you trying to run install.php (from the install package), or are you using GoDaddy's installer?  Did you create a new database?  It's a 5 minute job to install a new forum with a scratch database.  The forum version should be the same as the old forum.  Once you've done that, you need to import the database from the old forum.  Shared servers will usually not import a 128mb database, phpmyadmin will timeout without error.  You have to ask host support to import it.  Do you still have access to the old forum?

- R. Waters

phishinfool

you cannot install a 1.1.x install into a godaddy one touch SMF install. the newer database and the 1.1.x database dont work together.
Thats what my issue is, i need to install a 1.1.x package and then upgrade all the fun stuff to bring an old ancient forum up to date.
Smfforfree.com is still running the 1.1.x platform so my $50 sql dump file they provided after we paid is almost worthless.

phishinfool

i still have access to the old forum, however the host at that free forum hosting (i did not build it there, its an old group we are moving to a better cheaper place).
Free hosting isnt really cheaper. paying to keep it ad free, badwidth and file (photo) hosting storage costs make it stupid expensive.

Sir Osis of Liver

I've worked on several GoDaddy forums, but have no idea what a "one touch SMF install" is.  You should be able to install any SMF version using this procedure -

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

If you can't manage it, pm your GoDaddy login and I'll have a look tonight.

- R. Waters

Arantor

One touch is where something like Fantastico is used to install it ready to use without any work on the user's part.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 08, 2016, 09:46:37 PM
Are you trying to run install.php (from the install package), or are you using GoDaddy's installer?

Yes, still haven't gotten an answer to that question.

- R. Waters

phishinfool

Sir Osis of Liver

Check your PMs.  I need access to your GoDaddy account, not the borked database.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Where is the database dump from the old forum?

- R. Waters

phishinfool

phishinfool

qc

@phishinfool Better delete that file quickly and/or rename it! Now everybody can download your database including member email adresses, private PMs and weakly hashed passwords :(
Playing quizduell? Having quizduell questions? Our german quizduell forum quizcommunity.de is looking for quiz freaks to come and play quizduell with us :)

phishinfool

phishinfool

i had no idea
that was a rookie mistake lol!

Been beating my head against the bricks, i have never had such an ordeal installing & restoring a backup of a forum, not even when i did it the first time.

Sir Osis of Liver

Going offline shortly, just to let you know I have a support ticket in with my host to import your database into a test install.  They should get to it by tomorrow.  I suspect it's $50 worth of crap.  Do you still have any access to the old account?

- R. Waters

phishinfool

Sir Osis of Liver

My host cannot import the database -

'We have tried to import the database file to the database gemstone_forum and noticed that it contains many Duplicate entry. That is the reason, it is not allow us to import. Please go through database file and remove all unwanted entry and provide the proper SQL file.'

The file is 135 mb, not something you'd want to try to fix manually.   What access do you have to the old forum?

- R. Waters

phishinfool

just to log in and use it as an admin.
no option in the admin panel to make a download in maintenance like all the forums i have ever built and operated

Advertisement: