Help

Started by John C, May 15, 2016, 08:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John C

I had problems with my SMF forum . Got error messages . Host couldnt help so I used the settings repair tool and now get this error message (used restore all setiings)
  8192: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead
File: /customers/6/2/8/banskostudios.co.uk/httpd.www/Sources/Load.php(198) : runtime-created function
Line: 3

Not sure which version I am on, would appreciate any help in getting it working. I am not too technically proficient. Forum has several hundred members and this is the first time it has gone wrong!

Arantor

What version of SMF are you using?

John C

Not sure as I cant access it to find out! How do i check when i cant access it? Sorry  but I havent modified it for some time , it will be an older version

Arantor

That error shouldn't cause anything major to go wrong meaning that you should be able to go into the admin panel and update the forum; this was a bug that was fixed in 2.0.7, released in the first part of 2014...

John C

How do i get into the admin panel if i cant access the forum? 
hxxp:www.banskostudios.co.uk/index.php [nonactive]

Arantor

Well, that particular error message will not cause PHP to give up, so something else is wrong causing it to break and give up trying to build the page.

Going to http://www.banskostudios.co.uk/index.php?action=admin where you would normally go to the admin panel does load, which suggests it's related to the front page only.

But looking at that... I see you're on the 1.1.x version rather than the 2.0 version, which means the best way is to update to 2.0 (which will fix whatever other issue you had)... Upgrading SMF has more information.

John C

Thanks for that. Will try an upgrade and see if that solves my problems.

Arantor

Well, the original error message you got is related to SMF needing to support changes in the PHP language which were introduced in PHP 5.5 - your host might have updated, and I know that SMF 1.1.x isn't getting that particular change as it's now 10 years old and SMF 2.0 is the main one we encourage everyone to use.

Upgrading will replace all the files in your forum with new ones, including ones that cover the PHP changes, and should fix any other general issues you had, but as ever if you find new issues please let us know and we'll do what we can to help :)

John C

Help much appreciated.
Will attempt  upgrade later tonight
Cheers

John C

Well I think I have really messed up now!
Downloaded the file for new installations instead of upgrades and uploaded to server
When I realised that I overwrote the new installation files with the upgrade files on the server.. it doesn't work!
I did back up the databases though
I am getting error message when loading upgrade.php  " Unable to connect to database -please check username and password are correct in settings.php

When I try to load settings.php  I get the requested URL  /settings php was not found on the server but the file is there!

Sorry but I have really messed this up I think I did back up the database files though!
Can anybody help with suggestions to recover from this please?

Cheers

Sir Osis of Liver

If you uploaded the 2.0.11 install package (not upgrade), it overwrote Settings.php with a scratch file, so you're database settings are gone.  You can edit the file manually to set db server, db name, username, password.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

John C

Cant get any of my php files to do anything now.
Is it fairly easy to start from scratch and import my existing database files?
I am really struggling with this now :(

Sir Osis of Liver

If you've uploaded the 2.0.11 install package, you're already at scratch.  Nothing will work until you connect the install to your existing database.  You have to manually edit Settings.php here -

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_server = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx';
$db_name = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx';
$db_user = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx';
$db_passwd = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx';
$ssi_db_user = '';
$ssi_db_passwd = '';
$db_prefix = 'smf_';
$db_persist = '0';
$db_error_send = 0;

You can also do this with repair_settings.php, but you must have the database credentials either way.  Do you have a backup of the forum files?

- R. Waters

John C

I was struggling with re-inputting database names, so have got a back up of the directory from the host prior to when I started messing with it!
Have uploaded that to server , then uploaded upgrade file.
Upgrade.php  now loads, says files are ok but the adminpassword bit is grayed out and I cant input anything.
Tried editing and setting security to 1 but makes no difference.
If I scroll through to third screen it says no membership list or something like that.
Any ideas ... and thanks to all for help to date.
If its not something fairly simple I need to do I might just give up!

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like the database is incomplete.  How did you backup the database?  Is the original still online somewhere?

- R. Waters

Advertisement: