Problems from 1.1 RC3 to 2.0.11

Started by ktl, May 23, 2016, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktl

I'm working on a SMF 1.1 RC3 that run for many years, until the host update to PHP5 and now 1.1 don't work any more.

I'm now trying to convert the old database to version 2 on my own LAMP stack. Intalling 2.0.11 works fine, no problems, so the server seems to be ok. I have no server available running PHP4 so I could test the 1.1 version.

However, I haven't managed to convert the old database to version 2. Installed the Large upgrade of 2.0.11, edited the Settings.php but Upgrade.php says,

"The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files."

All new files are there. I'm sure of it. I chmod them all to 777 just to be sure.

The image in the top left corner of Upgrade.php is not there, because it points to the url of the old SMF, which is not up any more. Update.php somehow gets that url where, from the database? If it's trying to retrieve some other files from there also, then no wonder why it "was unable to find.."

Anyway, I can't get further from here. Any ideas?

Illori

did you run repair_settings.php to fix your paths? if you have not then you need to put your SMF 1.1.* files back in place run it then do the upgrade.

What is repair_settings.php?

margarett

You *need* to move your DB and files to your localhost, then run repair_settings so that all the paths are fixed. Make sure that everyone is on the default theme.
Then:
- delete Themes folder
- delete Sources folder
- delete Packages folder
- load the large upgrade
- run the upgrade

edit: ninja'd :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Actually, there are known issues trying to go from 1.1 RC versions directly to 2.0

Upgrade to 1.1.21 first, then to 2.0.11
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Are there, Kindred? News to me...

ktl

Thank you! Good to see here are people who can help!

So, today I continued to solve this issue. Yes, I tried the repair_settings.php. I did it again from the beginning with the same result:

"Some settings are not being shown because the database connection information is incorrect.
Check your database login details, table prefix and that the database actually contains your SMF tables.
"

I changed those database information to localhost and saved it. Then:

"Your settings were saved. Please confirm all the paths and URLs below, and that your forum works."

Now the Save Settings -button is dissapeared. I can not save anything.

Below Paths & URLs it says:
"Sorry, there are a lot of them."

There are only four paths. Forum URL, Forum Directory, Sources Directory and Cache Directory. Should there be more? That's not "a lot of them", IMHO.

Of course I could try 1.1.21 first. Should it work under php5?

margarett

Quote from: ktl on May 24, 2016, 11:56:26 AM
"Sorry, there are a lot of them."
Say what? :o Never saw message...

Quote from: ktl on May 24, 2016, 11:56:26 AM
Of course I could try 1.1.21 first. Should it work under php5?
Yes, up until (including) PHP 5.4

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

SMf 1.1.* works under some versions of php 5. php 5.5 most likely will not work and will require you to upgrade.

really it is easier to just do the upgrade in place then to mess around like you.

ktl

I have now PHP Version 5.5.9. Version 5.4 is no more available in Ubuntu repository.

So now what? Upgrading is not working and downgrading the php is beyond my skills.

I thought this would be easy...

margarett

If everything else fails, dump your database and files and share them with me. I'll upgrade the stuff and send it back to you.

Nevertheless, you should be able to run repair_settings with 1.1.x and PHP5.5 just to fix the paths (you don't need to actually run 1.1.x, just fix the paths ;) )

Kindred

Quote from: Arantor on May 24, 2016, 01:23:32 AM
Are there, Kindred? News to me...

It has been encountered a number of times...  And the solution in every case was to do the upgrade to 1.1.x full release before trying the 2.0 upgrade.   Dunno why, but that usually seems to resolve the issues
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ktl

I did it!

I get the remote server of my ISP back online yesterday. It's also running php5.6. As a last try i uploaded the whole stuff there and then the conversion went smoothly. I downloaded the database back to my localhost and it worked ok. For some reason my localhost was not capabable to run repair_settings.php so I couldn't even try to start the conversion.

I have some small issues left with themes, bus this case is closed. Thank you all very much for your help! I hope I can sometime, somewhere provide my help to somebody struggling with an issue familiar to me.

Advertisement: