News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

malware hijacks my browser when using THIS site only

Started by aegersz, May 23, 2016, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

it's driving me nuts but only happens with Chrome - anywhere i click just sends me off to an advert (DNS hijacking or something).

do you have any advice for me as it's only your site.

i don't want to reimage my desktop if i don't have to.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

margarett

are you talking about simplemachines.org?

Check if you have a "hosts" file, if so back it up and delete it. Then change your DNS servers to Google's 8.8.8.8 and finally flush you DNS cache. If it still happens, then you have a serious problem...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

aegersz

yes, this site. i am using Windows 7 and i just enabled AdBlockPlus. no redirections at the moment - some joy there.

weird how it's only affecting this site.

thanks, i will monitor the situation - i issued the "ipconfig /flushdns" and my real router uses 8.8.8.8 anyway (i have my own homemade Linux 3G router that feeds a real router as i use my cellphone for my home network) 

so far, so good.

thanks.

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

good on ABP to help me shake this pest.

will close now.

thanks again.

Gluz

I would say that is something within the ads, and because they are served location based, somthing near you have an ad that take over this site with some intrusive code.

The weird thing is that you said this only happens with Chrome, so, no clue what is going on if the other browser don't use ABP.

aegersz

guys, i really appreciate the feedback but my problem went away after Ad Block Plus (free).

but thanks for the thoughts.

SOLVED

Advertisement: