News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Sorting the single entries within a board

Started by artmusicstudio, May 24, 2016, 01:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artmusicstudio

hi all,
i use the board as

- guide

and

- forum

in the guide section i would like to cahnge the sequence (order) of my single entries (posts).

is it possible?

thanx a lot!

stan

br360

Are you trying to sort new posts/topics in specific ways on just one of your boards?

Something like this maybe? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=382

artmusicstudio

hi, thanx a lot,
i must confess, that i never used a mod before, but as far as i could see, this one does not allow to sort post per hand into any desired new order.

what i did :

i write a huge manual within the forum and have a lot of my posts (read only) , at the moment in the chronological order.

now i would like to refine the position of some posts just because of its content.

for this i dis not find a function until now!

thanx !
stan

Steve

Were you able to get that mod to work? I got some fatal errors when trying to install (even after emulating to 2.0).
DO NOT pm me for support!

artmusicstudio

hi,
no, i only read the specifications,
i am a beginner and would not risk to destroy my forum, too much work in it.....
still hope to find a way to move topics within a board.....
otherwise i have to rewrite the posts in the desired order, which would not really be fun -:)
stan

Illori

there is no way by default to change the sort order of topics in a board.

Kindred

Actually, even that mod does not allow a hand-defined sort method, afaik...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

br360

Quote from: artmusicstudio on May 24, 2016, 05:34:01 PM

still hope to find a way to move topics within a board.....
otherwise i have to rewrite the posts in the desired order, which would not really be fun -:)
stan

Are you trying to move topics or are you trying to move specific posts from topics? If you are trying to move topics, why not just mark them sticky topics so they go to the top of that board?

I know you said you don't feel comfortable adding mods, but if all you are trying to do is sticky topics to the top, there is a simple mod that actually lets you arrange your sticky topics in the order you want them stickied as well.

artmusicstudio

hi br360,
thanx , this could be the solution for now. i will try to learn more about mods.
btw.
after STICKY topics were sorted in the proper sequence,
can they be unsticked afterwords? just an idea....
but first i will try the 'sticky' function & the mod-installation.

thanx a lot for the idea!

stan

edit1: i just wonder, why 'sticky' object react on userdefined sorting (last first or last latest)

edit 2: i just experiment with moving topics to another board and moving them back in another sequence - just wonder, if this works...

br360

Sure, open any topic on your forum and look for the buttons below each page of a topic. One of the buttons is the "set topic sticky." Click that and the topic will be a sticky one on the top. That button will now say Set topic un-sticky and you can click that to un sticky it and make it a regular topic again.

artmusicstudio

yes, found it already....

edit1: i just wonder, why 'sticky' object reacts on userdefined sorting (last first or last latest). sricky 1 should always remain at pos. 1, but have to test more....

edit 2: i just experiment with moving topics to another board and moving them back in another sequence - just wonder, if this works...

stan

br360

Moving topics to one board then back won't do anything as they would appear by time posted.

This mod will set your sticky topics in the order you want them- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3425

If you are concerned about installing mods, take a look at the online manual- http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Package_manager

The two most important things to consider would be to do a backup of your forum files and database before installing any mod, and make sure to not install a mod that tells you there will be errors if you do install it.

Kindred

no...  sticky posts are still sorted by the most recent response...  They just get sorted FIRST, before the non-sticky posts.

so

STICKY RECENT TODAY
STICKY RECENT YESTERDAY
STICKY RECENT LAST WEEK

then
REGULAR THREAD RECENT TODAY 11:00AM
REGULAR THREAD RECENT TODAY 10:00AM
REGULAR THREAD RECENT TODAY 9:00AM
REGULAR THREAD RECENT TODAY 8:00AM
REGULAR THREAD RECENT TODAY 7:00AM
etc

There is no capability in SMF core to determine the sort order of the threads other than by post ID of the most recent response (it's actually not even technically by date)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

artmusicstudio

ok,
thanx for helping!

summary:

so the only way for now (a bit painful) is to

- create the same amount of posts in the board (as existing)
- copy content from topics in the desired sequence to the new boards
- delete or move old topics away from the board

now , whith the new boards , the desired order is displayed.

- suggestions:

in the general topic settings:

- sticky topics react on user's sort-setting : yes/no
- user-sorting-setting on/off per board (only for the html-output of the button)
- locked topics should also be fixed in their position

regards
stan

Illori

if anyone replied to one of these topics they can go out of order as SMF orders them based on the last reply. i am wondering if SMF is not the best platform for the use you have.

Advertisement: