News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Wondering If An Old Color Mod Can Be Revived?

Started by Grammy, May 25, 2016, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

I know I'm gonna get shot down, but I have to ask about this...

When I first thought about trying SMF, I tested first with 1.1.11 and was able to get THIS MOD to work.  I subsequently decided I should bite the bullet early and move on quickly to 2.0.11 and, of course, lost the function of this great mod.  No matter how I stare at the edits, I just can't get this square peg into a round hole.  (When "find" strings don't exist anymore, they just don't exist.  At least, not for this rookie.)   :(

When I put "colorize" into the Modifications search field, I found that this mod author was doing some wonderful things with color!  What a shame that he's not been around (apparently) for a long time.  I don't know the protocol for someone reviving another author's work, when he or she is no longer present to grant permission, but would someone consider perhaps their own version of this mod?  Forum users would love setting their favorite "trademark" color in their profiles and then having it always set (unless they override it deliberately).  It is (and for 2.0.x, was) a brilliant mod.  So sad to see it die as SMF progresses through its upgrades. 

Grammy

I have been helped by maximus23 and, although he has quietly worked behind the scenes, I like to give thanks and credit when it is due.   :)

He made the necessary edits and I'm happy to say that this mod works beautifully in my 2.0.11 forum and throws absolutely no errors.  If SMF would consider allowing maximus23 to revive this mod, others could enjoy it as well!  (But then again, as I said before, I don't know the protocol for someone reviving another author's work, when he or she is no longer present to grant permission.)  Still, though...  it would be nice!  Marking this solved and thank you, maximus23, again! 

Kindred

without the author's permission, the mod can not be taken over - unless it is an open source license and thus can be forked
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grammy

Quote from: Kindred on May 26, 2016, 05:30:13 PM
without the author's permission, the mod can not be taken over - unless it is an open source license and thus can be forked

Ah...  well, that's certainly justified.  I do think that particular mod author had a streak of genius going on, ha!  But I was wondering...  could a mod author create his or her own "forum user's personal font color choice"-type mod, as long as no direct coding was taken from an existing mod?  I ask because, when I browse the modifications, I often see several mods that pretty much do the same thing and it seems almost impossible that they won't have at lease some bit of identical code.  I don't know how that's always possible.  (So add that to the ever-growing list of things I don't know!) 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grammy

Quote from: Kindred on May 26, 2016, 05:55:34 PM
so long as the code is not copied, yes...

I'm just soaking up knowledge around here!   :D

Thanks, Kindred.

maximus23

Thanks Grammy :)

Failure to proceed to legal deposit in no way affects copyright protection.

You must not copy  software, protected by copyright law and/or licence agreements,
unless the owner of the copyright or licence holder specifically grants,
directly or indirectly, permission to do so. (See license GNU, MIT, etc....)

Special consideration  => No mentions = Full copyright !

In most cases a complete rewriting would be the best solution !

:)
Pas de support par PM ou Courrier...Veuillez utiliser le forum pour vous avoir une réponse rapide à votre demande d'aide. Merci.
Amitiés et à Bientôt...
No support by PM or Mail...You will get better and faster responses in the support forums. Thank you.
Have a nice day...

Grammy

Quote from: maximus23 on May 26, 2016, 06:31:04 PM
Thanks Grammy :)

Failure to proceed to legal deposit in no way affects copyright protection.

You must not copy  software, protected by copyright law and/or licence agreements,
unless the owner of the copyright or licence holder specifically grants,
directly or indirectly, permission to do so. (See license GNU, MIT, etc....)

Special consideration  => No mentions = Full copyright !

In most cases a complete rewriting would be the best solution !

:)

Well........   get started!  I have confidence in you!    :D

Advertisement: