News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to push visitors to register?

Started by RedPanda2013, May 26, 2016, 04:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hello

is it possible to create something that pushes visitors to register after a few seconds?

Like the popup on this forum:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4374738-what-should-paint-be-claimed-as/

Thank you

Illori

i think you will push more people away with that then gain members. if they want to join they will.

RedPanda2013

I heard that argument several times but I don't care.

I need a barrier that pushes away visitors who do not want to be involved with the forum.

Thanks

Kindred

anything is possible, if you can code it.

However, what you are asking for has never been coded as a mod for SMF since - as Illori mentioned - it would have the effect of driving nearly everyone away from your site.

So -- you can request someone to make you a mod to do that...  but you probably won't get any takers, unless you pay them to do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RedPanda2013

Thank you

I guess I will pay then or change forum software. :(

Cheers

Biology Forums

Quote from: Illori on May 26, 2016, 05:00:45 AM
i think you will push more people away with that then gain members. if they want to join they will.

Agreed. Good content and an incentive to post will increase registration (it's literally the *only* way).

ziycon

It is very bad interface design to force a user into something like this and as already said will drive numerous potential members away. You can't force a user to use your site, you want to have daily new content, nice features that will pull users back regularly.

Grammy

Not really adding anything to the conversation but when I go to a forum and they do that to me, I disable the pop up with a Firefox blocker.  I would suspect that a lot of people do that, either leave or shoot down the pop up.   O:)

Siirist

Hi,

Just want to toss in an entirely different (but relative) perspective.

The OP (original poster) wants to "PUSH" members to register.

In automotive repair:
If you PUSH on the wrench to loosen it, when it breaks loose, you hand will hit something and it WILL hurt you (if not bleed).

INSTEAD, you should PULL on the wrench to loosen it, so that when it breaks loose, you instinctively stop pulling and you do NOT hit your hand on something.
I know this from personal experience.

Hence, it is better to PULL members in, rather than to PUSH them out.

Best Wishes,
Siriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Deprecated

Although solved, the easiest way to entice guests to join and become members is with an advertising modification package that is capable of subjecting guests to advertising that logged in members do not see.

I have such a modification package almost ready to submit to the Mod Squad but other more serious problems (with my production forum and with my work schedule) have kept me from submitting it.

The idea is pure simplicity: deal with the advertising or join the forum and log in to escape it.

Siirist

Sounds sweet!!! And effective.   ;D

*sits on edge of chair*
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Deprecated

Sorry. I have another mod that would be also ideal, (Look But No Read), intended to spur interest in either joining the forum or subscribing to the board. (Currently suspended because of a few issues that allow bypassing the mod.)

Unfortunately my weeks have 168 hours just like everybody else's, and my problems have about 200 hours per week. And that is if I don't sleep.

Fortunately my day job is self employed and I can pixx off my customers although at financial cost. Damn, I'd rather write code than do my day job.

shinglis

Quote from: Deprecated on May 26, 2016, 08:35:05 PM
Although solved, the easiest way to entice guests to join and become members is with an advertising modification package that is capable of subjecting guests to advertising that logged in members do not see.

I have such a modification package almost ready to submit to the Mod Squad but other more serious problems (with my production forum and with my work schedule) have kept me from submitting it.

The idea is pure simplicity: deal with the advertising or join the forum and log in to escape it.

Sounds perfect just what I'm looking for  ;D
Already done something similar for images but using adverts would have the added bonus or repeat visitors actually logging in and may increase posts instead of just reading. Also any additional advert income is welcome.

Advertisement: