News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Moderation log - regular members showing

Started by diddyskipper, May 26, 2016, 07:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diddyskipper

Hi,

I've gone to check the Moderation Log and there are a number of entries saying - Removed topic "Deleted - ID:0000" from X board".

My issue is that the members who are showing are not moderators.  Unfortunately I didn't have the recycle topic activated so I can't see the content of what was deleted.  And I have checked permissions, these 2 members not moderators and it has their correct position, newbie etc. logged.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.   

Arantor

diddyskipper

Yes they can.  I just thought that only moderators activities show in the Moderation Log.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on May 26, 2016, 07:48:38 AM
nope... any moderation-like activity.

as far as i know, from what i have seen only actions by moderators are shown. if a user edits their post or deletes it, it will not show up in the moderation log.

diddyskipper

Quote from: Illori on May 26, 2016, 07:51:24 AM

as far as i know, from what i have seen only actions by moderators are shown. if a user edits their post or deletes it, it will not show up in the moderation log.

I signed in under my testing user name, so just as a normal member.  Created a topic and then removed it and it didn't show in the Moderation Log.  So I think you are right.

Deprecated

I have seen in my mod log actions such as deleting posts when regular members are allowed to delete posts.

Illori

Quote from: Deprecated on May 26, 2016, 08:46:37 PM

I have seen in my mod log actions such as deleting posts when regular members are allowed to delete posts.

are they deleting their own posts or posts of others in a topic they created? that is a different case.

Deprecated

Dead topic, but "own posts." If they deleted other member's posts then I would have my permissions set wrong.

Kawaii-Volt32

Yeah, I guess SMF treats the 'moderator log' as any forum related changes rather than specifically what site staff are doing.

Actually, that brings me to a question, is it good to let users delete their own posts or not, in admins' opinions? I feel it's a good thing for some people but not for others.

skb

Quote from: Kawaii-Volt32 on August 27, 2016, 04:51:09 AM
is it good to let users delete their own posts or not, in admins' opinions? I feel it's a good thing for some people but not for others.
I think this can be set in permissions. On our forum we allow the self deletion of posts, but there is a Recycle Bin, so we know who deleted which of their own posts.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Deprecated

Quote from: Kawaii-Volt32 on August 27, 2016, 04:51:09 AM
Actually, that brings me to a question, is it good to let users delete their own posts or not, in admins' opinions? I feel it's a good thing for some people but not for others.

It depends on the type of forum you are running. I've had laid back forums where I let members edit or delete their posts with no time limitations. I've had tight axx forums where members tend to get their backs up on occasion, and it's not unusual for some jerk to delete ALL their posts in a frenzy of getting even and telling the forum to kiss off.

I think on the average it is best to set a 24 hour edit window (enough time to get drunk, make some stupid posts -- PUI -- posting under the influence, sleep it off, wake up and read their posts and with brains now working -- but hurting -- they delete the bad stuff they posted).

Some forums may do better with a 10 or 30 minute edit window.

I think in all cases it's a bad idea to let members delete topics they started. No problem if there are no replies but big problem if there are replies, not fair to those who replied.

You will find most of this stuff in group permissions. Some such as edit time are IIRC located elsewhere in the ACP.

Advertisement: