News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Backup Help?

Started by RizwaN, May 26, 2016, 10:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RizwaN

Hello Friends,
                     I am new user of smf so i need help about SMF. i have installed smf and now i want to create a backup of full forum but i dont know how i can? can somebody help me? i want a full forum backup because i have free host and i dont know that's downtime so plz tell me how i can create a full backup of a SMF forum.

Also i want to change the color of main_menu text and want to bold the text of main_menu.
Thanks in Advance.

Irisado

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sir Osis of Liver

Some free hosts do not allow you to backup your database or forum files as described in the wiki.  You get what you pay for. :P

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Deprecated

I see the genesis of a new mod package here...

By definition, your SMF has to have access to its database in order to operate. If you are able to install mod packages then any competent mod package author could write a database backup mod that would simply access every table and combine them into the equivalent of a full database backup. Once you have that in hand you could install your forum on any shared host, VPS or dedicated host.

But yes, that is the hook with free forums. They catch you like a trout biting a worm on a hook, then they reel you in and load your forum with advertising (to pay for the "free" service they are offering you) and trap you by ransoming your forum (you can't back it up) so you can't move.

Your only choice is to start over with a real hosting package.

My question for the OP: are you able to install mod packages on your "free" forum?

(It tempts me to help free forum operators to escape from their "free as long as you leave it here with our advertising" cage.)

RizwaN

Quote from: Deprecated on May 26, 2016, 08:24:04 PM

My question for the OP: are you able to install mod packages on your "free" forum?

(It tempts me to help free forum operators to escape from their "free as long as you leave it here with our advertising" cage.)

@Deprecated i am able to install packages and thats a VPS for gaming server but i use for SMF.

Deprecated

Thanks for the quick reply. The only question now is, is anybody willing to write a mod package that does a full backup of your SMF database.

I'm assuming they have removed this capability from your Admin panel. (If not, backup your database and go shopping for a shared hosting package, VPN or dedicated server.)

RizwaN

Quote from: Deprecated on May 26, 2016, 08:48:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The only question now is, is anybody willing to write a mod package that does a full backup of your SMF database.

I'm assuming they have removed this capability from your Admin panel. (If not, backup your database and go shopping for a shared hosting package, VPN or dedicated server.)
@Deprecated
thats the main point i dont know how to create backup from admin panel

Kindred

Ummm... Although we do not recommend it, smf alreayd has the ability to create and download a backup of the database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

Yes Kindred I know that. I had presumed the "free" host had disabled that. Otherwise why didn't somebody tell him to just backup his database and move?

If not, OP just backup your forum and pick up and move. Leave a final message for your members what the new site is, and disable new posts and new replies.

If you have Apache and access to (um) .htaccess, remember to configure it for 301 permanently moved. You can Google that.

Kindred

Free host != free forum site

The and will disable functions like backup... But usually also disables the package manager and theme manager.  Since he has access to the package manager and can install mods, that suggests that he is using a free host, not a free forum.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

I give free worms to the trout I enjoy for dinner. Not as guests, but as the pièce de résistance.

The problem is often stated as "if you don't understand what the product is, then YOU are the product."

a10

A few $ a month one can get a decent host with normal control panel and sql download. And remember to backup the forum files.

To be sure things will work when needed, am using 2 different db backups, db download from host + http://www.mysqldumper.net/
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Deprecated

If your host doesn't have a control panel and phpMyAdmin to access databases you are using a VPN or a dedicated server. I have both (a host and a dedicated server) and don't expect anything on my dedicated server except what I put there. phpMyAdmin works great. The hosting service phpMyAdmin works so poorly I installed my own on a subdomain.

Advertisement: