News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

php 7

Started by gibilisco69, May 26, 2016, 10:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibilisco69

Can I install smf on php7? Does it run on php 7?

Arantor

Not without help, the MySQL connector SMF 2.0 uses doesn't exist in PHP 7.

Deprecated

Most shared hosting providers offer site configuration allowing their customer to pick which PHP they will use.

Also depending on ... stuff ... you can control which PHP you use with your .htaccess file (assuming you use Apache) although my shared hosting provider now charges extra for obsolete PHP versions.

I upgraded all my sites by selecting PHP 6.something and escaped the charge.

In my experience it is not a good idea to be among the cadre. They are the ones who get shot down first. OTOH be in the rear and the stragglers pick you off.

Kindred

Cadre is not the correct word to use in that context, deprecated
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

People who advocate PHP 7 are obviously Communists...

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+cadre

Kindred

Yes, but the way you used the word, that is not an appropriate definition...

The word that the rest of your sentence suggests is actually vanguard
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

Yes, okay kindred. Anything you say. I always enjoy arguing over how many angels can sit on the head of a pin.

For the record I got straight A's in every English class in high school. I'm a published author and my latest enthusiasm is to write a novel. (In which case I won't be bothering SMF's site much.)

I think the word for you today is "incorrigible." It means "not able to be corrected, improved, or reformed." I'm afraid that for the purposes of SMF that is a very accurate description of me. I write mod packages, I give bad advice (sometimes good) but always with a good heart, trying to help people, understanding that I am imperfect and my understanding of SMF's code is imperfect (even though I'm a seasoned mod package author) but I try to help people out of (you pick) 1. the goodness of my heart, or 2. boredom.

In any case you will be happy to hear I'm closing up shop for the night in a few minutes.

You should look up the definition of "deprecated" in the context of computer code. It would be educational. And accurate...

Arantor

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cadre - no definition fits the use.

Let me know where you got PHP 6 from. I've literally never seen it in production. And you can't get it from PHP.net... I'm kinda curious how much they broke.

But dragging this back on topic, your host should let you pick PHP 5.5 or 5.6 which SMF 2.0 works fine with. 2.1 should be compatible with PHP 7 when 2.1 is ready, if not it won't take much to make it so.

Kindred

do note, deprecated... as one of my many jobs, I am actually an English teacher...

(oh yeah, and given the dreck that I have read from "published" authors - writing a book is not any indication that you understand the language)

(and I have known the meaning of the word deprecated for decades)
Слaва
Украинi

Deprecated

I can beat you on that Kindred, I've been deprecated for almost as long as I've been Deprecated! :D -- I started hanging around SMF when my hardware/software/firmware consulting business dried up due to the economy tanking. I was literally deprecated. That's how I picked my name here.

SRSLY my shared host is 1&1 and they are prodding their customers to move up to later PHP releases I presume so they won't have to support earlier versions. They now tack on a monthly fee if you won't upgrade.

I forgot what one I'm on now, maybe 5.6? But for all practical purposes the later PHP had no effect on SMF or on my custom content delivery system.

I think some web hosting services just want to drop support for obsolete PHP versions.

JerzyLS

I'm using mydevil.net hosting and if SMF will not support PHP 7 in nearby future, I will go to migrate to other forum script with supporting the newest PHP version.

The hosting is going to turn off the PHP 5.x and I think the deadline is december of this year.

Arantor

PHP 5.6 is supported by PHP's developers for security patches until 2018.

Kindred

I believe there is a mod which adds support for php7... But I could be wrong.

However, the 2.1 beta does support php7 and will be moving forward shortly.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on August 21, 2016, 10:22:59 PM
I believe there is a mod which adds support for php7... But I could be wrong.

no there is not, but there is a mod to add support for mysqli.

Advertisement: