Language install trashes forum

Started by Krashsite, May 26, 2016, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Tinkering around with a 2.0.11 test install, tried installing spanish utf-8 language pack, install finishes with 500 error. :P  Uploaded clean files, same thing. :P  Deleted install, uploaded clean files, no help. :P  Imported database backup, still 500 error. :P  No more time to play with it today, but anyone have an idea what could cause this?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Arantor

Also, if the install isn't a UTF-8 install, bad things will happen.

Also, if it is UTF-8 on a really old version, or really jacked up version, of PHP with a mismatched PCRE library.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Illori on May 26, 2016, 06:55:39 PM
file permissions.

IIRC, last time I saw this problem the language installer had changed permissions for index.php.  Resetting them to 644 fixed it.  This time around I don't see any incorrect permissions.  Directories are all 755, files 644. 

Quote from: Arantor on May 27, 2016, 01:42:17 AM
Also, if the install isn't a UTF-8 install, bad things will happen.

That's what I was tinkering with.  But it's now a clean install running a db backup that was created several hours prior to the forum being screwed, and still doesn't work.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

n/m, found it.  It changed permissions on the main forum directory to 777.  Is that a bug?

- R. Waters

Illori

it has been reported before with mods getting installed, but no one can really duplicate it to find out why it is happening.

Sir Osis of Liver

Does not happen with mods on my host, but every time with language packs.  Is there anything in the language install code that deals with permissions?

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 27, 2016, 10:14:10 PM
Does not happen with mods on my host, but every time with language packs.  Is there anything in the language install code that deals with permissions?

i dont think so, but really this should not happen in the first place as it is modifying a permission of a folder that SMF should never touch.

Advertisement: