News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Help] Email Function not working with both Gmail & Corporate Email

Started by ninjawarrior, May 26, 2016, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjawarrior

I have tried 3 types of emails:

1. @gmail.com (both with & without 2fa)
2. corporate email using gmail server (both with & without 2fa)
3. corporate email using host server

For 2fa, we used app password.

Even my web host server could not resolve the issue. We tried using his corporate email because I had thought the problem lies with gmail smtp, but it didn't work. Strangely, while we were troubleshooting, there was a point of time when 1 email was sent out via 2. corporate email using gmail server, but didn't work subsequently.

This problem started in April 2016.

This is my current mail settings:

SMTP Server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465

Is there any way I can get the email function up? My users can't reset their password or request for "forget password" now. Thanks!!!

Deprecated

I have often encountered the same problem when hosting my domain on a server outside the domain. In other words my site is hosted on ... say Go Daddy ... (not really, I'm not that gauche) and it works fine on GD, then I move to a dedicated server outside the host's domain and the forum emails don't go out.

The problem is that SMTP servers often pass any outgoing emails coming from within their domain, but require more authentication when coming from a domain not related to theirs.

I solved my problem by establishing a specific outgoing account in my domain (even though my server hosts the HTTP) and provided SMF with the various authentication details to be able to pass my domain host's criteria that I am valid for sending outgoing emails.

This is an anti-spam issue. Your host is trying to prevent their domain from being used to spawn spam.

ninjawarrior

Quote from: Deprecated on May 26, 2016, 11:21:56 PM
I have often encountered the same problem when hosting my domain on a server outside the domain. In other words my site is hosted on ... say Go Daddy ... (not really, I'm not that gauche) and it works fine on GD, then I move to a dedicated server outside the host's domain and the forum emails don't go out.

The problem is that SMTP servers often pass any outgoing emails coming from within their domain, but require more authentication when coming from a domain not related to theirs.

I solved my problem by establishing a specific outgoing account in my domain (even though my server hosts the HTTP) and provided SMF with the various authentication details to be able to pass my domain host's criteria that I am valid for sending outgoing emails.

This is an anti-spam issue. Your host is trying to prevent their domain from being used to spawn spam.

Is it then possible to set up using gmail server?

Shambles

Quote from: ninjawarrior
SMTP Server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465

Is there any way I can get the email function up? My users can't reset their password or request for "forget password" now. Thanks!!!

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=544856.msg3870010#msg3870010

Advertisement: