Two "Show Replies to Your Posts" bugs - cancelled reply & no new threads

Started by Mother Fussbudget, May 27, 2016, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mother Fussbudget

I'm not a developer, more a Technical Business Analyst (and former QA engineer) and a SMF user on the MrMoneyMustache SMF [v2.0.8]. I've  noticed 2 bugs there with "show replies to your posts".  Please investigate.

The first may not be a defect - some use it as a way to track a 'thread' without posting: 

"Users that start a reply, then DELETE before posting will see the thread in their 'show replies to your post' history".
Steps:
1) Start a post to a message thread.
2) Cancel, or browser-back without actually posting a reply.
3) Wait until other updates (not by you) are made to the thread...
4) Check 'show replies to your posts'
RESULT:  the thread the user did NOT REPLY TO is shown in the "show replies to your posts" history.

The second defect is possibly related:
"Users no longer see 'new threads' in their 'show replies to your posts' history after attempting to reply to a 0-reply thread that gets deleted before their reply". [in my case, I only see 'replies' to threads I posted to >12 months ago]
Steps:
1) Start a reply to a post with "0" previous replies.
2) While in the 'edit', have the OP *delete* the "0-reply" post.
3) Attempt to save the REPLY to the deleted message (and get an error message)
4) Check 'show replies to your posts' history.
RESULT:  only forum thread responses BEFORE step 2 will be shown in the 'show replies' history.

In May 2015, I was writing a REPLY to a post that had received "0" responses.  I worked up a detailed response, explaining why no-one had replied to date, and addressing some of the issues the user was having.  It took several hours to prepare the reply (job, life, etc. intervened).  BUT... when I went to POST THE REPLY, the ORIGINAL MESSAGE had been DELETED by the OP.
I saw an 'error message' on the update, copied my response to notepad, and sent it to the OP via Private Message.

TODAY I was trying to see if there had been a solution to this issue, when I saw a post about issue #1 out on the interwebs, put 2 and 2 together... and wanted to be helpful. 

Arantor

The first one occurs if the user previously posted in the topic since the definition is any topic you have posted in previously.

The second one is not a bug per se, because it ultimately tries to reply to the last point in the topic which you could have known about and treats it like a reply to a given post, which triggers the topic history being displayed in that fashion.

Mother Fussbudget

But the problem with the 2nd issue is the responder never sees replies to ANY topics that were started after the date of the deleted thread.  For example, I now only see replies to topics I responded to that are at least 1 year old in the 'show new replies to your posts' history.

Is there any way to reset the history so that newer threads will be tracked appropriately?

Arantor

Do you have some modifications? In a stock SMF this works correctly (and has done here for years)

Advertisement: