Forum Integration

Started by Cheeky Bloke, May 29, 2016, 08:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky Bloke

Hey folks, my name is Brandon (Cheeky Bloke) and I have a question or two regarding multiple forums. I'm using SMF 2.0.11 (which I absolutely love!) and have paid subscriptions enabled on my forums. For subscribers, I'd like to allow them access to a separate forum dedicated to them as they will be considered supporters of the site. The issue I am facing is I don't know how or if it is even possible to have 2 separate forums with only 1 login. When you reach my site, you'll be greeted with a SimplePortal. When you click "Forum" I want a menu button that redirects them to an area dedicated to paid subscribers where others can not access or see until subscribing. Is there a way to add a "supporter" (or donator, however you want to look at it) area without cluttering the normal forums with all supporter features and categories/threads.

Basically, it's like this:

Portal > Forum > Donator Only Forum

If I didn't explain this enough, please let me know.
If you can help, I'll throw you a virtual hug you may not forget.

Thanks in advance,
Cheeky

Edit: I am aware of the Split Forum mod found here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3730
There are too many errors during installation that I am inexperienced to figure out and don't feel quite comfortable editing manually without messing up.

I am using SMF 2.0.11 using 1092 theme (found on this site)/
Everything is legal, as well as my own paid domain if it matters.

Here is my site. hxxp:www.rspszone.com/forum [nonactive]
I'm hosting through Godaddy and my main hxxp:rspszone.com [nonactive] domain is currently being updated.
Please keep in mind this is new. I went crazy on it yesterday.

Kindred

Why a completely separate forum?
  Why not just a set of hidden boards?

However, if you choose a separate forum, the split forum mod is really the only halfway decent way to do it (I believe that PMX sub forums might also work, but it's a mod along the same lines)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Cheeky Bloke

My reasoning for not having hidden boards is to give the supporter an entirely new area dedicated to them.
I want to eliminate making the forum categories/topics longer than it already is.

This wouldn't necessarily  be a bad idea to have hidden boards but then again it's not quite what I wanted.
As for the mods, I may have to seek help beings I'm not comfortable (as stated above) to edit without knowledge.

Yet another edit: I installed SubForums 1.41 (installed without issues) but when I create a subforum, the domain doesn't exist. I'm not sure
what I have to do here but like all things thus far, I'm sure I'll figure that out myself.

Edit 2: I have created a category "Special Forums" to subscribers along with unique membergroup and respective child board permissions.
Rather than creating a separate board, I can come to terms with offering special permissions to these specific boards.
I reckon I should have put a bit more thought into this before assuming it was possible.

Consider this solved.
Thanks!

Kindred

well.. both the subforums and splitforum mods would do what you have asked....  if you had issues with those mods, then you would need to follow up with the author of that specific mod, in the thread or site dedicated to supporting that mod.

However, since you have solved this in the simplest way possible, excellent...
(BTW: You can use a different theme in the restricted access boards to let people know that they are seeing something "special")
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: