The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cann

Started by denNorske, October 28, 2014, 07:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denNorske

I am terribly sorry about bumping this topic which is that old, i really am! (2009, its horrific :o )

But regarding to the situation and the results on google, i felt like asking it in the same topic. (You can split the topic if it's not acceptable, sorry).

I did what was described above. I did not change my host / anything like that, and i set all the folders to 777 with CHMOD over FTP.
However, the problem about my avatars still persists, even after redefining the location of the folder in the "attachments and avatars" settings on my forum.

And; i've tried the repair_settings aswell, with no luck.

And if there is other people with the same problem, they might get a fast answer if it could be solved in the same topic.
Again, sorry for bumping this, it's not really what i do on a normal basis.

Thanks for any help and answers i might get. If you need more information, just tell me.
Best regards

desjardins2012

Alright so here the final comment to this post that will cure the issue at hand. Problem is most don't know what they absolute path is to use for settings.

Here what to do:

1) Open a text editor like notepad and paste this code

<?php
$path 
getcwd();
echo 
"This Is Your Absolute Path: ";
echo 
$path;
?>

2) save this as path.php

3) upload this file to your public_html folder

4) visit your site www.yoursite.com/path.php

5) this file will spit out your absolute path to your public_html folder

6) in most cases ppl are going to the FTP and using the path showing here however this dosn't always show the home/thispart/public_html

Hope that helps..

denNorske

Hello!

The problem is, I already checked the absolute path twice, Modified the write permission manually and from Forums, tried to reinstall 3 times
Still not working.

Any other workarounds?

xXxbigdogxXx

Hi. I have this exact same problem however I don't see how I can fix it using an FTP client due to the fact that I can trying to access and control this from my local computer.. I don't even know a login username and password to use on my webserver other than getting a server which doesn't come with SmartFTP..

I have fixed the first problem with was due to the directory folder being slightly inccorect however when attempted to upload an avatar again to the folder it doesn't work and provides the same error to work off of.

I run Windows 8 PRO with media center.
I run WAMP Server (apache, php and MySQL) (PhpMyAdmin, hMailServer, Rainloop/RoundCube)

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Kindred

You are running your live site form your local computer using WAMP?

yikes...   you really should not be doing that
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

xXxbigdogxXx

I don't have the resources to be working off a website via VPS or even server itself.

Kindred

basically, then, you are willing to open your home computer to anyone on the internet?

There are GOOD servers out there for less than $5 a month and there are CHEAP (although not so great) servers for even less.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Especially since WAMP is actually insecure out of the box because it's designed to expose developer level information that shouldn't be on production servers, not to mention inefficient about how it does things, again because it is not designed for production use.

You can get VPS servers for $5 a month these days, though there's no control panel. But getting a decent host for a few bucks is more than feasible.

Advertisement: