SMF hyperlink to topic number instead of the full thread url?

Started by Wellwisher, May 31, 2016, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellwisher

How do you hyperlink to just the topic number instead of the thread url? Is this even possible?

eg:

[url=?topic,300.0]This cats thread is awesome[/url]

Wellwisher

nvm solved it:

[url=?action=;topic=300.0]This cats thread is awesome[/url]

Arantor

?topic= works just fine (needs the = part) though I'm guessing you're using the "friendly" URLs? (Which no search engine has needed in a decade...)

Wellwisher

Quote from: Arantor on May 31, 2016, 07:21:14 AM
?topic= works just fine (needs the = part) though I'm guessing you're using the "friendly" URLs? (Which no search engine has needed in a decade...)

Thanks, good tip. You mean Pretty URLs mod? No, this was merely to make sure when I donate one my databases to our community members, our "about-project" section links to the correct articles. I know it will by default but just in case.  :P

Arantor

No, I mean the topic,300.0.html thing, an SMF feature that should have been removed a long time ago as it causes problems.

Wellwisher

Quote from: Arantor on May 31, 2016, 08:32:48 AM
No, I mean the topic,300.0.html thing, an SMF feature that should have been removed a long time ago as it causes problems.

I never noticed it before, thus didn't know there was an option to turn that off. ;D Seems like google's only ever indexed topic numbers rather than topic.html. Where can I read more about the problems of leaving this option on vs having this off? Does having it off make smf quicker? xD

Advertisement: