News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Help, between rock and hard place . . .

Started by The Possum, June 02, 2016, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Possum

Just new to this forum.  Have a major problem with the forum set up using SimpleMachines 1.1.13.  We get the same error message as John did down in the  topic "Help".  From what I have been able to read here and also learn from the guy who hosts the forum I Admin it seems that we need to upgrade our SM software and therein lies the problem.

The site we are talking about is hxxp:onlybucs.net [nonactive] a discussion forum for Pittsburgh Pirate baseball fans.  The gentleman who set the forum up so many years ago has disasppeared.  I do know that he has had serious health problems for about 6-7 yeaars and about 2 years ago he just quit answering phone calls and email.  So I am left in the lerch in getting the forum upgraded. 

I do not have any clue on how to do that or how to access Simple Machines to try.  Could someone help me out here, I have no idea what user name or password the original guy used to get OnlyBucs going on Simple Machines.  I can give you his username on our forum and that way "Gunner".  Please give us some help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks much

Bryce aka The Possum

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have access to the host account?  FTP access?  Admin access?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

The Possum

Thanks for the reply Sr Osis.  No I do not have any of that info available.  Like I said the guy who started the forum did this all himself and would not share this kind of info with any of us Admins.  Maybe afraid that someone might get in and mess things up.  So now that he has "disappeared" I am left to try and fix things with our site.

Regards,

Bryce aka Possum

Illori

if you dont have access to the server there is not much you can do.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have admin access, you may be able salvage the database and import it into a new install in a new host account.  There is an admin db backup function, it's unreliable but has worked for some forums.  It's really the only option you have.  If you can pm admin access, I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

The Possum

Thank you again Sir Osis of Liver.  Seems that I have some admin access.  So I am sending you the username and pw by PM. 

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: