SMF and custom extranet

Started by Pioden, October 27, 2005, 08:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioden

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to build a custom extranet for a client and I'm looking at SMF for the forum (instead of the usual phpBB). I've been searching round the support forum for documentation for the SMF API but without much luck :-( So on to my questions!!

Is there SMF API documentation somewhere?

For the sake of efficiency I'd like to use the SMF membership management system to manage the extranet users. Is this possible?

Is SMF secure? I've been reading good things about it but I thought it might be good to ask here as well !!

GC

Yes Pioden, SMF is safe. I've been a big fan of SMF. I'm not to sure about the API documentation though. I don't think there is, but you can view ssi_examples.shtml.

jonyo

ssi_examples.php (and .shtml) is actually for SSI.php, not smf_api.php.  The two are not compatible to be included on the same page.  SSI.php is good for displaying stuff from SMF, and smf_api is more for backend operations (like logging in and out).  You can definitely have smf handle all the user stuff, In a site I'm developing I have it set up to log into my site and SMF at the same time...  It could easily be used to only log into SMF and use SMF sessions and user tables to handle everything.  I haven't done anything more advanced than that (as far as the api goes) but I have seen examples of other sites using is successfully (like the mambo bridge, if I'm not mistaken)

smf_api.php is somewhat documented within the file itself, the first part of the file has info on all the different functions and how to use them.

I wouldn't know about the security, since I'm not a security guru, but I do know I haven't seen any hacked smf sites, while I hear about phpBB hacked sites all the time.  (although I don't run into SMF sites very often)  The admin section has a nice feature where on the main admin page it tells you what version your running, along with the latest version available, which makes it easy to see if you need to do any patching.

EDIT:  Actually, if you are totally using SMF to handle member stuff, you might be able to use SSI.php, as you probably don't need to touch the backend too much.  The only reason I'm using smf_api is to have more control over login's and logout's.   More info on SSI can be found over here.  For the very basic stuff, point your browser to your_website.com/smf/ssi_examples.php for a quick look at what ssi can do.

EDIT2: Here is the thread on smf_api here.  I guess that counts as documentation.  Have fun!

Pioden

Thanks to you both for that. Very usefull. I'm not sure if 'fun' is the word I'd choose to describe what I want to do - but SMF certainly seems the way to go!!!

Cheers

Huw

Pioden

Hi, me again!! I've spent some 'quality time' playing with SMF and it is indeed an utterly awesome piece of software. Major respect to the writers.

As you can tell from the start of this thread I want to integrate SMF into my own extranet CMS software. I've read through the API but without some examples or pointers I don't think I'll get very far. Hopefully someone may be able to point me in the right direction!!

This is how I see the system working. When somebody goes to the extranet's URL they must logon or create a new account - I'd like to use SMF's existing user management facilities for this part.

Two questions:
Can SMF do this?!! Can it deny access to people who have not logged in?

What do I need to add to the CMS's index page to incoporate SMF's user management features.

TIA

Huw

Pioden

Have I posted this into the wrong thread?!!  :( :( Would this be more appropriate in the coding thread ?

Advertisement: