News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

All users can't login

Started by markrr, June 08, 2016, 09:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markrr

I had an old V1.1.6 (I think) SMF install. Suddenly no users (even admin-me) couldn't log in.

I upgraded to 2.0.11 (latest stable) and the log in problem persists. All my forum data/posts/members are still there though.

I had disabled new registration, so I can't ask all ~20 users to re-register. I have MySQl access, but don't know how/where to turn the registration feature back on through the database.

Any ideas on how to revive the login feature or turn registration back on?

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

markrr

www oaklandcountybassanglers  .com/clubforum/

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

markrr

Sir Osis of Liver

Re-registering is not going to help, login is not seeing username.  Did you upgrade directly from 1.1.6 to 2.0.11?  How did you do it?

- R. Waters

markrr

I ran the repair tool first and that didn't fix the problem.

I then FTP'd the new files up to the site and ran the upgrade.php process with no problems.

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have a backup of the 1.1.6 forum files and database?  If so, restore the old forum in a new directory, run repair_settings, make sure it's working, then upgrade to 1.1.21, then to 2.0.11.

- R. Waters

markrr

I ran the repair tool on the original 1.1.6 forum before upgrading and the login problem didn't go away.

markrr

I did upgrade upgrade directly from 1.1.6 to 2.0.11.

My only backup is from an install that had the login problem. So, kind of useless.

Any other recommendations?

Sir Osis of Liver

If I understand correctly, you had this problem with the original 1.1.6 install, upgraded to 2.0.11, and still have the problem.  Do you have a backup of the 1.1.6 database?

Registration is still disabled, did you try editing the db to enable it?

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 08, 2016, 10:34:13 PM
registration_method is in smf_settings -

0 - immediate registration
1 - email activation
2 - admin app[roval
3 - disabled

- R. Waters

markrr

Yes, I had this same problem; unable to login (admin or user) with the original 1.1.6 install.

Unable to resolve it, I upgraded directly to 2.0.11, and still have the login problem.

I don't have a backup of the 1.1.6 database.

Registration is still disabled. I'd love to know how to edit the db to enable it. I can log into PHP MyAdmin, but not the SMF application. BTW-I changed the setting in PHP MyAdmin from 3 to 2, and to 1, and to 0 and the page still says registration has been disabled.

I'd also love to know how to set-up a new "admin" account for myself, so I can login - through PHP MyAdmin if that's possible.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm access to your host account, will have a look.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, it's fixed.  Enabled registration in db, but wouldn't work, kept looping back to agreement page.  Did a clean install in /clubforum2 and it worked fine.  Copied over /attachments and /avatars, renamed it to /clubforum.  Your old install is in /clubforum_sav if anything's missing.  I set up ftp and admin accounts for Sir Osis, if everything's ok, delete them.

- R. Waters

markrr

Wow, awesome! Thank you so much. Everything looks to be in order. I had to copy the gallery folder over to get the photos to show up, but I won't hold that against you! ;D  Now I have to learn how to backups lol.

Me, and over 30 guys/girls in our 28 year old club really appreciate your help. You're a lifesaver.

Sir Osis of Liver

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

Check your registration settings, I left it on immediate registration, and you should have a stronger password for your database.  Didn't see the gallery, did you have to reinstall it?

- R. Waters

markrr

Thanks. Once I get it clean, I'll definitely do a backup.

I can't see where to set a better password, and I don't know the old password. I assume it's unique to the database, and not the same as the hosting login?

I just copied the Gallery folder from the backup directory to the new install and the photos appeared. Not sure if that's proper process, but it appears to have worked.

Some members have tried to use the "Forgot your password" link and they aren't getting a password reset email after a 3 hour wait. Still looking into that.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can change the database password in the mysql database section of your host control panel.  After doing so, you have to edit $db_passwd in Settings.php.

You have to reinstall any mods you were using.  Looks like you only had two, SMFGallery2.0.5 and Arrows01.  The zips are in /public_html/clubforum_sav/Packages.

Don't know why password reset isn't working.  Check your Webmaster Email Address in Admin -> Server Settings.  Is the forum sending any emails?

- R. Waters

markrr

OK, I'll look into changing the password and figuring out how to re-install the mods.

Eventually the password reset emails have come through. It just took quite a while.

Thanks!

Advertisement: