Are Themes Like Mods?

Started by Siirist, June 14, 2016, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hello,

I am wondering if Themes are like Mods.  Such as: If I am running SMF ver 2.0.11  I cannot use a Theme built for ver 1.x.x ?

If this is true, are they also like Mods in that to get an Update, only the Original Author can create updates due to copyright issues.

There are some older themes that I want to use but it would seem that I can't because they are "incompatible?"

The themes in question are:
Fresh Looks
AND
Hope

Neither is listed in the 2.x

Thank you in advance.

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Illori

themes for SMF 1.1 will not work with SMF 2.0. if a theme is for 2.0.2 and you are running SMF 2.0.11 that theme should work. both of those themes are 2.0.* themes, so they should work with SMF 2.0.11.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 14, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
themes for SMF 1.1 will not work with SMF 2.0. if a theme is for 2.0.2 and you are running SMF 2.0.11 that theme should work. both of those themes are 2.0.* themes, so they should work with SMF 2.0.11.

Thank you for your reply Illori.   :)

Yeah, should and reality are not always compatible.
See attached screenshots of the two themes when applied.

Hope has a bar that I think should be at the bottom of the screen.

Fresh Looks has Forum Slogan at the bottom of the screen (I compressed the Categories for easier view).
Hmmm

I can PM a Username and Password upon request to SMF Staff and some "established" members.

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Illori

you would be best to post in the themes support topic for further help.

Sir Osis of Liver

Both of those themes install correctly on 2.0.11 test install.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Gary

That's because they're both 2.0 versions, any theme for 2.0 Final onwards will work, though some themes, mainly those for 2.0.5 or earlier from what I remember may need tweaking in places. The theme site wont display a theme in the 2.0.11 link from what I can tell unless it's actually specified that 2.0.11 is a compatible version.

Themes for 1.1 will not work on 2.0 due to the different function calls between the two and will result in templates not being found, and also all the language string calls were changed in 2.0 from their 1.1 counterparts, so you'd get thousands of undefined errors. This would also apply when going from say a 1.0 theme to 1.1.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 14, 2016, 01:25:05 PM
you would be best to post in the themes support topic for further help.

Will do, thought due to this previous post
Quote from: Illori on June 14, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
that the "examples" belonged here as "representation of difficulty/issue"    O:)

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 14, 2016, 02:45:16 PM
Both of those themes install correctly on 2.0.11 test install.

Hmmm, think my mods may be "screwing" with the theme.    ???

Quote from: Gary on June 14, 2016, 03:24:04 PM
That's because they're both 2.0 versions, any theme for 2.0 Final onwards will work, though some themes, mainly those for 2.0.5 or earlier from what I remember may need tweaking in places. The theme site wont display a theme in the 2.0.11 link from what I can tell unless it's actually specified that 2.0.11 is a compatible version.

Themes for 1.1 will not work on 2.0 due to the different function calls between the two and will result in templates not being found, and also all the language string calls were changed in 2.0 from their 1.1 counterparts, so you'd get thousands of undefined errors. This would also apply when going from say a 1.0 theme to 1.1.

Very useful information!  :D

For entertainment purposes, and because some members may like the theme, I will install Fumes which is designed for ver 2.0.11, and see if I have simular problems, because if it does, I believe that this would point to the current Mods creating the issues.
If so, I will un-install all mods and see if that will clear up the issues.  ::)

Thank yous go to each of you.   ;)

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:

Kindred

When you install a new theme after having installed mods, the. You either have to uninstall and reinstall the mods, including the new theme... Or you need to manually edit the new theme to match up to the mod coding changes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Hey Kindred,

Yeah, pretty much knew this.  What I didn't know or believe was that Themes would be effected by Mods. Which is what I thought was happening.

Here's something ODD.  I un-installed the Mods (2 had un-install issues - Board Icons, Board-Color-Icons, and Welcome Topic, so I left them as installed) while in Hope Theme and ODDLY those Mods "remained" in place on the other two Themes, worked out awesomely for me, but still rather strange.
EDIT: Realized that this is likely because I have not cleared the cache on the forum AND in Package Manager it shows the Mods as UN-installed.

So yeah, when I installed the Fumes Theme it had no Mods at all.
Quote from: Kindred on June 14, 2016, 11:34:15 PM
When you install a new theme after having installed mods, the. You either have to uninstall and reinstall the mods, including the new theme... Or you need to manually edit the new theme to match up to the mod coding changes.

So, I will use Package Manager to install the 9 Mods that I had un-installed on all 3 themes, and then do a manually edit to install the two that were not un-installed on this Theme.

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:

Kindred

Also, some mods use multiple template changes..  and the new theme may only have one of those templates defined...   so, you'll get errors
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: