Spam Problems

Started by winnergirl, June 15, 2016, 12:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winnergirl

Spam Problems

I used another forum software and got overwhelmed by spam requests to join and after all the work of setting it up, I shut it down. So I tried SM and the same thing happened, so I also shut the SM forum down, it has been like a year ago.

My forum has set idle, I never actually removed the forum, I just altered the name extension from "forum-sm" to "forum-smx" so technically it was still there, but no longer worked.

Now I am setting up a new WordPress site and thought to put the forum back up and try again, but this time, behind a WP login. So I tired that. I immediately began getting spam requires to join the forum again, **but no WP login action**, so the spam is not coming via my WP site. I know virtually nothing about forums, but I am thinking now that the spam is coming directly from the page URL which has the word "forum" in the URL address.

I was thinking about changing the forum URL to exclude the word "forum" or combine it with other letters, I wondered if that would stop the spamming, or do spam bots just spot forums? Has anyone tired this approach?

If the name change would work, how would I do that. It has been a year since I set the site up, and I have forgotten what and where everything is. I looked around for a while today, but I don't recall.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Ricky.

Changing URL or name of the forum directory won't help. Most of the spam you get is automated and can be handle easily through SMF's inbuilt antispam method, first thin you should do is set some question/answer for verification, it will block majority of spam.

You can set it from : Admin --> Configuration --> Antispam

There are few very effective mods like Stop Spammer but they are not yet available for SMF 2.1 beta , hopefully once SMF 2.1 stable releases, you will get plenty of nice mods to fight spam.

Illori

i dont think the OP is using SMF 2.1, especially if they have had the forum setup for a good year.

can you confirm which version of SMF you are actually using?

Ricky.

Quote from: Illori on June 15, 2016, 05:10:31 AM
i dont think the OP is using SMF 2.1, especially if they have had the forum setup for a good year.

can you confirm which version of SMF you are actually using?
Since its posted in 2.1.x support section, I assumed its about SMF 2.1.x 

Illori

Quote from: Ricky. on June 15, 2016, 05:24:26 AM
Since its posted in 2.1.x support section, I assumed its about SMF 2.1.x 

since it is posted in the 2.1 section i assume that the person always posted in the wrong section and mean 2.0.

Irisado

Moved to 2.0. Support on the basis that it's almost certainly a 2.0.x forum.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

winnergirl

I updated and thought I was 2.1, but I just went and looked and it only brought me up to:

Forum version: SMF 2.0.8

Thanks for the advice. I require a question and email verification, so I get a lot of junk email.

I assume there is not actually a solution. Thanks though for responding. And sorry I posted in the wrong section. I appreciate your patience.

Irisado

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Have you read this?

Also, one question is not enough to keep out spammers.  You need a database of questions which are selected randomly for new members to answer.  There also a number of mods which may help.  Some of these are mentioned on the wiki page I've linked you to.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Kindred

also, you should update to 2.0.11
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Irisado on June 20, 2016, 11:14:07 AMAlso, one question is not enough to keep out spammers.  You need a database of questions which are selected randomly for new members to answer.

Just to follow-up on what Irisado said, this post shows some examples of questions that seem to work well. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163
DO NOT pm me for support!

a10

^^^ several years now with this kind of questions, still working great, zero complaints from real people, no other antispam, maybe one human spammer every 3 months, quickly shot by mods with no harm done :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

ircsi csak volt

Hi!

I have a problem that regularly broke into my admin, and I wish tilitva, but are not registered.
The sablonaimat átalakítgatják regularly.
It was a make your own webemről also banned.
Unfortunately, I do not know how this is possible?
Because of this very awkward situation got even longer.

Annex I for a few ip address: 173 230 129 121, 128.30.52.71,
128.30.52.96, 128.30.52.70,

I ask for help, how to impede the further break-ins?

Ircsi

Steve

Please start a separate post for your issue. Or could a mod split this off please if this isn't the exact same problem (and delete my post)? I'm having difficulty deciphering what Ircsi is saying. :)

ircsi csak volt

Hello everyone!
I am sorry that my writing is not understandable very much.
I do not speak in English and Google fórdítóval ointments what is not accurate...
Essence the above IP addresses break open my forum and much harm steadily cause.
They are not registered, they enter somehow after all the adminomba.
Banned they and this was not effective.
Send an error log report.

"
Vendég
Szűrő alkalmazása: Csak az IP cím hibaüzeneteit mutassa 173.230.129.121 
A lista időrendi sorrendjének megfordítása 2016.június.20 - hétfő 17:54:08
6022ca0719f9f0645774e79c4d043692
Szűrő alkalmazása: Csak az ilyen típusú hibákat mutassa A hiba típusa: Felhasználó
Szűrő alkalmazása: Csak az URL hibaüzeneteit mutassahttp://xn--bkessgnektek-bebe.hu/index.php?action=admin;area=theme;th=13;cab18ae8c=aa6b9c296b9d65db2aca2c8134e46275;sa=edit;directory=.Szűrő alkalmazása: Csak a megegyező üzenetű hibaüzeneteket mutassa
Sajnáljuk Vendég, te ki lettél tiltva a fórumról! A tiltás nem fog lejárni."

so my error log the 173.230.129.121 IP
than guest the admin stepped onto a surface.
There is not regisztálva, not member, enters after all and kát does.

How defend itself against them?

Goodman854

Almost no mod is as effective as this: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1519

Stopforumspam is pretty much my go to at all times to stop spam. I've had forums with thousands of bots before. Unless you use some level of protection nothing is going to stop them. You can I THINK with that mod stop them from viewing any part of your website if there IP is on the block list. Also recommend the reCapcha mod.

ircsi csak volt

Hello!

Thanks for your help.
Beautiful Sunday!  :D

winnergirl

I am trying Steve and a10s suggestion of users having to select numbers or letters out of a group. That sounds like a great idea! Thanks! Thanks! I will see how it goes and let you know. Thanks - again! :)

ircsi csak volt

Quote from: ircsi on July 03, 2016, 01:20:35 AM
Hello!

Thanks for your help.
Beautiful Sunday!  :D

Give me much help.

QuoteGuest
  Just show the IP address 91.200.12.136 error messages
  http://xxxxxxxxxxx.hu/index.php?action=register [nofollow] Sorry Guest, you are banned you from this board!
The ban will not expire.

Yet impute go to:
Administrative Center »Registration» New user registration

I have undergone all precautions.
Unfortunately, spam is still on the rise.
I do not understand how they can use the adminszekciót?
What else can I do to eradicate this condition?

Another problem with the forum and the portal to cart maintenance mode, you can read the list of banned guests.

Thanks for any help.

Ircsi

Kindred

Quote from: Irisado on June 20, 2016, 11:14:07 AM
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Have you read this?

Also, one question is not enough to keep out spammers.  You need a database of questions which are selected randomly for new members to answer.  There also a number of mods which may help.  Some of these are mentioned on the wiki page I've linked you to.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

What Kindred said and:

Quote from: Steve on June 21, 2016, 08:53:51 AMJust to follow-up on what Irisado said, this post shows some examples of questions that seem to work well. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163

Advertisement: