News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Table './smforum/smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repai

Started by ruskan, June 22, 2016, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruskan

My forum keeps crashing and the error message is displayed:

"Table './smforum/smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed"

My host for the forum is Earthlink, who is also my web host. They have repeatedly "repaired" it only to have it crash again in a few days. This has been going on for 2 months. Here's what they say:

"The main reason behind issue reoccurring is the session table is getting corrupted. The reason why the table is getting corrupted is the code which you have used to create webpage is third party code, that code is causing the corruption. In order to prevent this thing to happen in future you need to review all the website files to ensure all code are running efficiently."

Apparently they think there's something on my end, in my website or else in the Simple Machines code that is triggering the corruption.

1. Do you have any suggestions on what to check in my website? I created the site with Dreamweaver. Everything has worked well for years, until the problem started a few months ago. I have not made any changes to the website to provoke the error. I don't see what there is to be checked, since Dreamweaver creates the code, all the web pages display properly, and there is just the basic linking to the Simple Machines site.

2. Can there be something in the Simple Machines program, or in my version, that is triggering the error? Since the forum is crashed at this moment, unfortunately I can't even get into it to find the exact version, but it's 2 something.

Many thanks

Illori

Chen Zhen

ruskan,

re. emclear.com

Attempt to fix the issue yourself. 
Either use phpmyadmin or another database manager within your host admin panel to repair the table.
Uncheck "Use database driven sessions" so that the forum uses files for sessions.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Kindred

I have been running an smf forum on a host site for 4 years with no crashed tables...   It does indeed happen to some folks, occasionally...   But if it continues to happen, that indicates an issue with the host, not the software, in this case
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Chen Zhen on June 22, 2016, 10:37:43 PM
Uncheck "Use database driven sessions" so that the forum uses files for sessions.

it has been said in the past unless you are a dedicated server this may be a bad idea to switch. i dont know all the details but it is best to leave the sessions in the database if at all possible.

ruskan

Earthlink says the corruption is being caused by the Simple Machines program. Is this at all possible? What do I tell them? Thanks.

Kindred

Tell them to get a clue....

They are partially correct. The database corrupt table IS happening within SMF. That much is true... and it might happen occasionally on some sites... especially shared servers.
Fixing it, in that case is just a matter of running a repair...

HOWEVER... if it KEEPS happening, then that indicates that the HOST has poorly configured the system.
If they don't understand that basic little tidbi and keep trying to blame the software (which has run on thousands of other hosts without issue) then I think it's time that you find a new host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ruskan

Kindred- Thanks for the reply. However, they are going to say that they successfully host thousands of other forums, and it is true that the program has run for years before the recent problems. Would there be any point to reinstalling the SMF software? Changing to another host sounds drastic and like it would only be the final recourse.

Illori

a reinstall will not do anything to fix your issue.
this is a server issue, and your host will not look into fixing the server.

Kindred

Look at it like this.

A host is a service provider.
There are millions of hosts out there...
if your current host is not giving you the service that you need (and pay for) then change hosts.   It's a fairly easy process to switch to a new host -- and most reputable hosts will even assist you in moving the contents of your site.
Слaва
Украинi

ruskan

Sorry, but I don't understand this:

"this is a server issue, and your host will not look into fixing the server."

Doesn't the host (Earthlink) have the server, and why wouldn't they fix it?

Illori

your host is giving you excuses as to why they have not fixed the issue, or will not fix the issue.

they are not helping to earn your business and fixing the issue that you have.

ruskan

Advertisement: