News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please help fix my forum size

Started by sconlinemarketing, June 25, 2016, 10:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sconlinemarketing

This is my forum, hxxp:droneforum4pilots.com [nonactive] and as you can see it is really small aligned left.  How can I fix this so it is the normal size aligned center?

Thanks

Siirist

Hi,

It appears full screen on my 17" laptop.  See attached screenshot.

Be Well,
Siriist

EDIT: You are using SMF ver 2.0.7  You should update your forum to the latest version 2.0.11, due to possible security issues.  Using patches may be the best method.
Remember to always back-up (through your host if possible) BEFORE making changes.
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

sconlinemarketing

This is how it looks on my screen, see attached!

Grammy

I'm seeing what the OP is seeing.  He has some some ads, etc., at the bottom of his site that might be skewing things?  :-\

a10

The ads pictures at the bottom. ok on high res, but spill over on lower res screen, see attach.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Siirist

Hi again,

I think that this may be a browser issue. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, I am just trying to help because I have 5 browsers installed on my laptop.

My discoveries were that only Internet Explorer and FireFox displayed your forum properly, though I have adblocker installed on FireFox.

Opera, Chrome, and Safari, all displayed the page with different smaller widths.

See attachments for evidence.

Best Wishes,
Siriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

lurkalot

Quote from: Siirist on June 25, 2016, 12:36:59 PM
Hi again,

I think that this may be a browser issue. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, I am just trying to help because I have 5 browsers installed on my laptop.

My discoveries were that only FireFox displayed your forum properly.

Opera, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari, all displayed the page with different smaller widths.

See attachments for evidence.

Best Wishes,
Siriist

Displays fine in Internet explore for me, including all the ads. Loads of them.  ;)  Your screenshot from Firefox isn't showing any ads which is why it's full width.  Do you have a ad blocker?

Grammy

Was just wondering, in Admin--->Themes and Layout--->Theme Settings what the forum width is set to?

(Of course, I don't know anything about ads, etc.  Or much else, to be honest.)   :D

But I was just curious about the forum width and if that plays differently with different browsers?

Siirist

Quote from: lurkalot on June 25, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
Displays fine in Internet explore for me, including all the ads. Loads of them.  ;)  Your screenshot from Firefox isn't showing any ads which is why it's full width.  Do you have a ad blocker?

Yes I do as stated in my previous post.

Quote from: Grammy on June 25, 2016, 12:46:06 PM
Was just wondering, in Admin--->Themes and Layout--->Theme Settings what the forum width is set to?

(Of course, I don't know anything about ads, etc.  Or much else, to be honest.)   :D

But I was just curious about the forum width and if that plays differently with different browsers?

Then Modify Theme > Edit this theme's stylesheets (of the theme you wish to edit) > index.css

This allows you to go into the index which has no occurrences of "forum width", but has almost 100 "width".  A person needs to be careful (editing the index.css because it effects the CORE of the forum) which "width" they change. I found the "width" for my forum, but it was already at 98%.
Hope that helps with your thoughts Grammy.

Quote from: sconlinemarketing on June 25, 2016, 12:55:50 PM
Width is set at 95%

I am inclined to think that your ads are pushing your forum around, but only someone with more experience than I can say for sure.

BTW, I have 2 test forums, so that I can "check things out" and recommend that a person have one anyway.
If you did, you could install the "live" forum contents into the test forum without ads and see how it functions.

Just my thoughts,
Siriist
Needed information:

lurkalot

Quote from: Siirist on June 25, 2016, 01:11:03 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on June 25, 2016, 12:43:38 PM

Yes I do as stated in my previous post.

So you did, sorry.   ;)

Steve

So, what is the solution guys? Fix the ads at the bottom that a10 pointed out?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Grammy

I guess, if it were my forum, I'd disable the ads temporarily to see if my forum begins to render correctly and, if that's the case, I'd post on the Ad mod's support topic to find out why enabling the ads breaks the forum's rendering.  (But I don't use ads, so what do I know?)   :)

Advertisement: