Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database.

Started by Siirist, June 26, 2016, 01:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hello,

What are your thoughts on this?   :-\

Is this the famous white screen of death?   ???

Most Intriguing,
Siriist

Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Illori

no that is not a white screen of death as it has content on the page. if it happens multiple times ask your host what is going on. if they will not help then start looking for a new host.

skb

I've seen that screen a couple of times. It is a server problem at the host's end. Hope we never see the white screen of death.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2016, 05:54:30 AM
no that is not a white screen of death as it has content on the page. if it happens multiple times ask your host what is going on. if they will not help then start looking for a new host.

Quote from: skb on June 26, 2016, 07:10:03 AM
I've seen that screen a couple of times. It is a server problem at the host's end. Hope we never see the white screen of death.

Thank you Illori and skb

Hmmm, intriguing, beguiling, even perplexing.

Server is shared.
Apache   2.2.31
PHP           5.4.43
MySQL   5.5.42
Perl           5.10.1

I have seven (7) websites that are functioning normally.
http://www.asanctuary.net/forum2/ [no follow] - Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database
http://www.asanctuary.net/forum2/ [no follow] - Functioning
http://www.asanctuary.net/TestForum/ [no follow] - Functioning
http://www.asanctuary.net/testforum2/ [no follow] - Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database
http://www.asanctuary.net/SMF2-1/ [no follow] - Functioning

* scratches head *

Server problem; shouldn't it cause all my forums / webpages to fail?

* gets a fresh cup of coffee *

Yup more coffee and a cigarette

Siriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Illori

do they all connect to the same database server? either way you need to talk to your host so they can look into the issue.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2016, 09:38:53 AM
do they all connect to the same database server? either way you need to talk to your host so they can look into the issue.

File Count                25302
Directory Count        1482
Symbolic Links          0
SQL Databases         5
MySQL                     5
PostgreSQL              0

As far as I know they each have their own database, but I have no reason to believe that they are on separate servers, as I am on a shared server.

SIDE NOTE: I have another host that lies empty, no sites, no files.
Should I just create directories, and DBs over there and upload my files there?
Is there someway to have the forum "auto-redirect" to the up and running host?  *doubts this is possible*

Will open a ticket at my current host.

Thank you for your continued thoughts on this,
Siriist
Needed information:

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2016, 09:38:53 AM

Right?!!

My host does not use a ticket system, just phone or chat. Here is the bottom line from them:
8:16:16am Jyothi - Since its not WordPress, there's not much we can do about this issue because the server itself is working as their other pages load asanctuary.net
Wait, WHAT?!!!  :o
Web pages and Data bases are NOT the same. Sheesh.   >:(

I have attached the core (like 7 sentences) of the chat with them.

QuoteSIDE NOTE: I have another host that lies empty, no sites, no files.
Should I just create directories, and DBs over there and upload my files over there at that host?
Is there some way to have the forum "auto-redirect" to the up and running host?  *doubts this is possible* I guess I could do it manually.

Thoughts Please.

Thank you in advance.

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:

Illori

if they will not fix a server issue because of the script you use, go find a new host.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2016, 12:05:20 PM
if they will not fix a server issue because of the script you use, go find a new host.

Thanks Illori.  ;)

Will do later, have a bout 4 hours of real life to contend with and I am SOOOO glad that it is a new forum with "no users".

Have a great weekend.

Be Well,
Siriist
Needed information:

Sir Osis of Liver

Transient database connection problems are not uncommon on shared servers, usually don't last more than a few seconds.  If it happens infrequently, it's not a big deal.  You can track connection problems by enabling "Send emails on database connection error" in Admin -> Server Settings -> Database and Paths

But, yes, you do have a crappy host. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Siirist

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 26, 2016, 04:22:18 PM
Transient database connection problems are not uncommon on shared servers, usually don't last more than a few seconds.  If it happens infrequently, it's not a big deal.  You can track connection problems by enabling "Send emails on database connection error" in Admin -> Server Settings -> Database and Paths

The connection problem started about 2230 (10:30pm) yesterday and still has not resolved.   ???

I can 't believe that the non-english tech support technician doesn't understand that there is a difference between a folder with files and a database with tables.    :o

The host in question is JustHost and unfortunately, I have paid hosting to June 2017.   :-\

Thank you for your thoughts.   ;)

Now, I have to move at least 2 production forums to another host.   >:(

Be Well Sir,
Siriist
Needed information:

margarett

That error says that SMF can't connect to the database it has configured to use.
Check Settings.php (for forum1) and take note on the database name and database user. Then go to your control panel and check:
- is the database there? If not caput, it was deleted for some reason so either you restore a backup or your host does. If no one has a backup, too bad and that forum is gone :(
- assuming that the database is there. Check (or ask your host to check) if the database user is allowed to access that database:
   -- if it is not, assign it
   -- if it is, reset its password and update Settings.php accordingly.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 26, 2016, 04:22:18 PM
LOL ;D
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on June 27, 2016, 10:46:49 AM
That error says that SMF can't connect to the database it has configured to use.
Check Settings.php (for forum1) and take note on the database name and database user. Then go to your control panel and check:
- is the database there? If not caput, it was deleted for some reason so either you restore a backup or your host does. If no one has a backup, too bad and that forum is gone :(
- assuming that the database is there. Check (or ask your host to check) if the database user is allowed to access that database:
   -- if it is not, assign it
   -- if it is, reset its password and update Settings.php accordingly.

Hmmm, check settings.php.  You mean ftp download it and look that way?

Thanks.

Will give that a go.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Siirist

margarett,

I think this is safe, I hope this is safe, but what the hell, if it doesn't work, then it doesn't matter if it is safe.

Compared to attached screenshot, it seems right.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'nctua_forum1';
$db_user = 'nctua_Cloud';
$db_passwd = 'XXXXXXXXX';
$ssi_db_user = '';
$ssi_db_passwd = '';
$db_prefix = 'asanctua_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 0;

They offered a back-up from Friday (four days ago, and 1 full day before failure, but I declined as I was not sure if that was the right way to go)

Hmmm,

Siirist
Needed information:

margarett

It seems it should work. Go to MySQL users and reset the password for the "_Cloud" user. Then edit Settings.php accordingly.

Also, go to the database via phpmyadmin and make sure that the tables prefix is correct.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on June 27, 2016, 11:27:03 AM
It seems it should work. Go to MySQL users and reset the password for the "_Cloud" user. Then edit Settings.php accordingly.

According to what?  You mean to reset the password and then place the new password in the Settings.php?

Also, go to the database via phpmyadmin and make sure that the tables prefix is correct.

See screenshot 
NOTE: 2,300 failed connections

Thank you for your continued patience,
Siirist
Needed information:

margarett

Quote from: Siirist on June 27, 2016, 11:42:57 AM
You mean to reset the password and then place the new password in the Settings.php?

Yes ;)

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on June 27, 2016, 11:45:52 AM
Quote from: Siirist on June 27, 2016, 11:42:57 AM
You mean to reset the password and then place the new password in the Settings.php?

Yes ;)

You are a Demi-God.    ;D

Fully operational!!!!     :D

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!

Siirist

BY THE WAY - Shouldn't my host known about this possibility, rather than a Restore, or Well your pages load fine so we are closing this chat."?
Needed information:

margarett

Not sure really. I would suggest that your host is not forced to know SMF, how it works, or what Settings.php is.

What's strange is the password to be changed. That's really strange.

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on June 27, 2016, 11:59:24 AM
Not sure really. I would suggest that your host is not forced to know SMF, how it works, or what Settings.php is.

What's strange is the password to be changed. That's really strange.

I went in can changed "forum3" to SMF2-1, and changed the Cloud password.

I believed that it would only effect THAT database, and not ALL databases.

My error.  PM me your addy and I shoot you some dough. ;-)
Needed information:

Advertisement: