Double forums? (lots of info)

Started by Siirist, June 27, 2016, 03:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hello,

I think this is where this "topic" goes.

The situation is that I have had sporadic challenges now and then with my host (hereafter Primary).

I have signed up with another and after some communication difficulties, am ready to add files (only cgi_bin exists at this point, hereafter Secondary).

Primary Stats
Domains
Total Domains =   2
Subomains =   21
Parked Domains =    0
Addon Domains   = 17
Unassigned Domains=    3

Files and Databases
File Count   25307
Directory Count   1482
Symbolic Links   0
SQL Databases   5
MySQL   5
PostgreSQL   0

Versions
cPanel   11.52.6
Apache   2.2.31
PHP   5.4.43
MySQL   5.5.42
Perl   5.10.1

Secondary Stats
General account information
Subdomains 0/unlimited
Parked Domains 0/unlimited
Addon Domains 0/unlimited
SQL Database 0/unlimited
MySQL 0
PostgreSQL 0
Mailing List Disk Space 0
Email Accounts 0/unlimited
Email Forwarders 0/unlimited
Auto-Responders 0/unlimited
Email Filters 0/unlimited
Mailing Lists 0/unlimited
FTP Accounts 0/unlimited
CPU Usage 0/100 %
Entry Processes 0/0
Current Connections 0/20

General server information
Perl Path /usr/bin/perl
Perl Modules Click to View
Sendmail Path /usr/sbin/sendmail
Apache version 2.4.16
MySQL version 10.0.20-MariaDB-cll-lve
PostgreSQL version 8.4.20
PHP version 5.5.30
PHP info Click to View
Perl version 5.10.1
Kernel version 2.6.32-673.8.1.lve1.4.3.el6.x86_64
Machine Type x86_64

My thought is to upload my 5 databases to the Secondary and then install the pertinent version of SMF (ie 2.0.1, 2.0.11, 2.1 Beta)

By doing this, I am inclined to believe that if I have to face the challenges I had over this weekend, I could just point my nameservers from the Primary to the Secondary.

I hope that I have been clear.
And as I think about it, perhaps I install the pertinent version of SMF, and then compress? the database from the Primary, download to laptop, then upload to Secondary and extract?
Oh, and I realize that the forum standing by on the Secondary will not have new themes, mods, members, or member's posts, since the time of creation to time of use.

Hmmm

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Siirist

Thank Illori,

Knew that was somewhere in the online manual, appreciate you linking it for me.

I was also curious if this is viable or a good idea?

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Siirist

Hello,

I am curious, is having forums (and websites) on two different hosts is a good idea?

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Illori

you ask a question, you get an answer then you second guess the answer you were received... what else do you want us to do for you? we are not going to just do it for you. we gave you the answer you were looking for, the rest is up to you to do or not.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 28, 2016, 09:17:30 AM
you ask a question, you get an answer then you second guess the answer you were received... what else do you want us to do for you? we are not going to just do it for you. we gave you the answer you were looking for, the rest is up to you to do or not.

Perhaps I didn't communicate well.

You have told me how to install a forum on a new server, and I appreciate that
Quote from: Siirist on June 27, 2016, 03:15:19 PM
Thank Illori,

Knew that was somewhere in the online manual, appreciate you linking it for me.

However, I now am asking if it is a good idea to install the forum on a Secondary server, so that if the Primary server fails, the Secondary forum (on a different server) can be "turned on".

I acknowledge that the secondary forum will not up to date with the "latest" posts.

Siirist
Needed information:

Illori

if that is your goal then i would say no way. the next question you would then ask is how do i merge the new topics/posts with the other database and no one will tell you how to do it as it is not worth the effort and the message ids and topic ids will not match up.

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on June 29, 2016, 10:46:38 AM
if that is your goal then i would say no way. the next question you would then ask is how do i merge the new topics/posts with the other database and no one will tell you how to do it as it is not worth the effort and the message ids and topic ids will not match up.

Very well, thank you for taking the time to "spell this out" for me as I am a little frustrated with my current host, but they are paid until summer 2017.

I have a secondary host and will upload all my web-sites (about 10 of them), so that if the current host goes down, I can just point the domain to the "new" host.

I thought that the same scenario might work for a forum.

Be Well and Thanks Again,
Siirist
Needed information:

Advertisement: