News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Avatars & Attachments not working since server move

Started by Jingaling, June 29, 2016, 07:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingaling

Hi guys,

I've upgrade my server to a brand new, more powerful. I've moved my forum over and everything is working as it normally would, except for avatars & attachments. At first, I thought it might be the cache, so I cleared that but it didn't fix the problem. Am I missing something that I should do when migrating a forum?

Had a look around the forums but can't seem to find anything tangible to fix the issue.

Just in case you need it, I'm running 2.0.11 and my server is running CentOS 7.

Thanks.

Grammy

Have you tried the repair_settings.php tool?  (The link is in my signature.)   :)

(You just upgraded your server; you didn't change your domain, right?)

Shambles

Have a look in

Admin > Forum > Attachments & Avatars > Attachment Settings > Attachments Directory and ensure the relative path is correct for your new server.

Ditto for Avatar Settings.

Jingaling

Thanks for the info guys. I've just tried "repair settings" and that didn't work.

I also checked all of the links in the forum settings and they're all correct. However, I then went to <siteurl>/avatars to have a look and apart from two folders called "Actors" & "Musicians" there are no avatars in the folder. This made me think that they may not have uploaded correctly. But when I look at the old server, it's exactly the same case there. Would the avatars be stored anywhere else?

Shambles

They'll be stored where the config says to store them (follow the breadcrumb links I listed)

Jingaling

Yeah, I did that on both the new and old, they're exactly the same. So there shouldn't be an issue. Even the contents are the same on both servers, yet avatars work on the old, but not on the new.

Illori

then somewhere the path or URL has to be incorrect. are you sure you fixed all the paths and URLs with repair_settings.php?

Jingaling

100% positive. Everything on the new server definitely mirrors the old server. That's what has me so confused.

I've compared paths on both servers, they're exactly the same. I checked the paths on FTP and also via CLI, they're present, and have exactly the same contents on both.

Illori

how did you transfer the avatars/attachments from the first server to the second?

Jingaling

I FTP'd the directory down from the old server to my local HDD, then uploaded it all to the new server via FTP also.

Grammy

Did you use Filezilla and, if so, were they transferred as ASCII?  Filezilla (and I guess other FTP agents) can really damage image files, if they are uploaded as ASCII.  Maybe try uploading them again as Binary? 

Jingaling

I did use Filezilla. I'll give BINARY mod a go and let you guys know. Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you originally downloaded the attachments with FZ at default transfer settings, the files are damaged.  If you still have access to the old server, d/l the files again with transfer type set to binary, then upload them to the new location.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Shambles

Advertisement: