Close to give up on SMf 2.0.11

Started by sky23, June 30, 2016, 04:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sky23

Hi everybody...
I'm really confused with these poor edit function in SMf forums..
Somehow i played around and managed to bring up a text in the index header.
Now i want to delete...no chance at all, maybe i deleted the responsible mod..or whatever..
no chance.
Still no way to figure out, how to make "attachments" in PM's..
Much more..what is simply not to do in SMf..
Anybody knows a FREE way to migrate to a other forum, like phpbb?
I think it's the best way, before i am completely lost in SMf..News not functional..and most mods not even work in standard curve theme..
These cms2cms charging a arm and a leg..

Sir Osis of Liver

The good thing about open source software is, if you know what you're doing, you can customize it to suit your personal preferences. :)  The bad thing about it is, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll make a hash of it. :(

If you can provide a link to your forum, explain a bit more clearly what you've done and what's gone wrong, we may be able to help you.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

br360

Hi.

When you say you played around and managed to bring up text in the index header, can you explain in better detail (perhaps a link to your forum or even a screen shot) of what you mean?

When it comes to installing mods like say the responsive curve, you should never actually delete the mod from your list as that doesn't actually delete the mod itself. Always uninstall a mod instead.

To make attachments in pm's take a look at this mod- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3770

What is happening with the news you are entering, and what mods have you tried to install that don't work on the curve theme?

Illori

Quote from: sky23 on June 30, 2016, 04:57:36 PM
Hi everybody...
I'm really confused with these poor edit function in SMf forums..
Somehow i played around and managed to bring up a text in the index header.
Now i want to delete...no chance at all, maybe i deleted the responsible mod..or whatever..
no chance.

These cms2cms charging a arm and a leg..

you do know that SMF is free right? there is no charge to use it at all.

sounds like you edited your forum slogan on the current theme page in admin to add text to the header, this is not a mod it is a default feature.

Drunken Clam

Ray,

Your posts suggest you are just starting out on your SMF journey, without actually reading the comprehensive 'wiki', which will probably answer all your questions.

If you are just starting out, then you have nothing to migrate! So go ahead and try one of the many free forum software out there, I'm sure you will then understand how easy SMF is to use.  ;)

aegersz

SMF 2.0.11 rocks !

*just watch what mods you install as every one is a potential issue. i currently have 94 mods on 2.0.11 base and it is now stable and reasonably reliable.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

sky23

ok, its the front page, on the picture you see upper right a arrow like mark, can hide my text under "neuigkeiten"..if i click it, but find no way to total eliminate the text "neuigkeiten"

Illori

there is no way without editing files to make that hide when you dont have news present.

if you want to change it on your install, look for some lines similar to this in index.template.php and edit to match this

// Show a random news item? (or you could pick one from news_lines...)
if (!empty($settings['enable_news']) && !empty($context['random_news_line']))
echo '
<div class="news">
<h2>', $txt['news'], ': </h2>
<p>', $context['random_news_line'], '</p>
</div>';

sky23

hi illori, what you mean with "dont have news present?
all mods i searched like boardnews etc...not to install in standard curve theme...
my index.template.php dont show any of this you recommend to do

sky23

i found out, if under -Theme Options and Preferences-...then -Enable random news line in the forum header-..and unmark this settings, the text dissapear. but still no way to edit or delete

Sir Osis of Liver

What exactly do you want to edit or delete?

- R. Waters

Siirist

Hi,

I just want to remind everyone to go slow and carefully communicate.

From my viewpoint the both concerns of the OP (original poster) and replies to can be more clear.

Such as:
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 01, 2016, 10:12:16 PM
What exactly do you want to edit or delete?

To:
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver
You said

"i found out, if under -Theme Options and Preferences-...then -Enable random news line in the forum header-..and unmark this settings, the text dissapear. but still no way to edit or delete"

Does this mean that you got the word "neuigkeiten" to not appear?

This may seem petty Sir, yet it seems the best way to ensure effective communications.

I'm just trying to help calm the OP and ensure that we are doing all we can to determine the problem and provide a solution.

Kindly,
Siirst
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not clear (to me, anyway) what OP is asking.  He knows how to disable the random news item, which removes it completely, and Illori has posted the code in index.template.php where the text can be edited.  We can't assist him further until he gives us a better idea what he wants to do.

- R. Waters

Siirist

I know, right?

". . . both concerns of the OP (original poster) . . ."

Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

sky23

I appreciate all posts from members here, but i think there is a misunderstanding.

I use the Standard Theme, Curve.
I want to delete a text in the upper right side.

I played around a couple of days..and managed that on the fron page of my forum i could insert a text somehow. Reason for that was, that i found no working mod for news, all i tried, not working in standard theme curve.

After deleting a few mods...i was confronted with the fact, that the text under "Neuigkeiten" or News in the upper right side of the index page,
could not be removed anymore.
Disabling this "Randon News" solve the problem, but not in total, cause if i activate this again, it shows again, with no chance to delete or renew the text.
Also, in my index.template.php nothing in, what was above mentioned.

nend

To change the random news go to News and Newsletters > News.

In order to change the text "News"
Edit /Themes/default/languages/index.english.php.
If you use a different language then find index.{Your Language}.php, where {Your Language} is your language.

Find this line.
$txt['news'] = 'News';

If you use a different language then the text "News" will be different.

Change it to your desired string.
$txt['news'] = 'My Desired String';

Arantor

Both are fed from the same place ;)

Steve

Oops, sorry. Deleted my post as I just figured that out.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Link to your forum?  Enable random news line so we can see what it's doing.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: