What to do if member have opposing views to owner about features?

Started by GleamPlay.com, July 01, 2016, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GleamPlay.com

For example, if owner want to implement certain mod but a member doesn't want? Or vise versa?

And I know it's always the best thing to do to hear your members opinions.
But what if you think his ideas won't work?

Another example is owner wants to disable Display Name. So each and every member only use the username.
But the member really want changeable Display name.

What should the owner do?
Thanks a lot!
Gleam - http://gleamplay.com
The SMF to have fun, meet new friends and play games!

br360

The owner should maybe create a poll to see what the majority of the members want?

You aren't going to make everyone happy but if you create a topic about why you want to add something or disable something else, state your case and then let your members vote on it.

Siirist

Quote from: br360 on July 01, 2016, 10:42:58 PM
The owner should maybe create a poll to see what the majority of the members want?

You aren't going to make everyone happy but if you create a topic about why you want to add something or disable something else, state your case and then let your members vote on it.

Yup, Yup, Yup.

Just my thoughts,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Arantor

I've long been sceptical of polling members about such things. As recently demonstrated spectacularly in Britain, the wider community usually isn't informed enough about the consequences of decisions that affect them.

I find it usually helps with more specific examples since there are times the calls for mods are legitimate, and times it's not, and a lot of that really comes back to the admin and what sort of community they want to encourage, and one that is always bowing to members' wishes is not entirely the right one in my experience.

GleamPlay.com

Quote from: Arantor on July 02, 2016, 08:41:24 AM
I find it usually helps with more specific examples since there are times the calls for mods are legitimate, and times it's not, and a lot of that really comes back to the admin and what sort of community they want to encourage, and one that is always bowing to members' wishes is not entirely the right one in my experience.
Like for example, I am trying to disable Signature because it's taking quite a lot of space, repetitive, and require the reader to scroll much more. I have also thought of disabling only 1 signature per person, but that's quite unsystematic and messy (in my opinion), because I would like every post's "template" to be uniformed.

But after disabling Signature, there are some members telling me that they would want the Signature back.
Gleam - http://gleamplay.com
The SMF to have fun, meet new friends and play games!

skb

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Advertisement: