News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Stupid question... What's faster!

Started by oOo--STAR--oOo, July 06, 2016, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oOo--STAR--oOo

If I copy every single template from the default to my custom theme is that slower to load and process than having all the templates in the default dir other than the ones I am editing?
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

margarett

I don't have any kind of benchmark but I'd suggest that it's perfectly irrelevant.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: margarett on July 06, 2016, 06:48:55 PM
I don't have any kind of benchmark but I'd suggest that it's perfectly irrelevant.

Huh irrelevant? As in, the difference is basically at a very minimalist scale its not worth questioning?
I was just wondering cause I am removing every single image from all templates and even source and replacing them with font icons..

If I got say most of the templates in my custom theme, is there a performance impact? Should I just move every single one of them... Or only the ones I am actually changing, which is probably nearly all.. I moved a lot already..

Or should I just have done with the default theme and make that my theme? Replace everything in there...

Edit: Actually its probably best I get rid of the default theme and replace everything with my theme :D

I know it sounds stupid, but I just like things to be optimised.

In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Illori

Quote from: aljo1985 on July 06, 2016, 07:11:00 PM

Edit: Actually its probably best I get rid of the default theme and replace everything with my theme :D

no should you not replace the default theme. it should stay as is as a fall back theme in case of any problems.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Illori on July 06, 2016, 07:27:17 PM
Quote from: aljo1985 on July 06, 2016, 07:11:00 PM

no should you not replace the default theme. it should stay as is as a fall back theme in case of any problems.

Understandable if you don't know what you are doing ;)
I am capable of fixing any errors should they arise, just wondering without having to dig through everything.. Maybe someone here knows..
If there is a real problem, copy and paste is a great treat.. Put the default theme files back in there and remove mine :D But I am sure I can handle any problems!

In Design Phase!

Kindred

1- you should not do that because mods and updates which may affect the default theme will fail if you do that.
2- there will be no appreciable difference by making a copy of every template.  I might argue that is could actually take MORE processing to do it that way.
3- mods might actually use the default images or templates...

so... basically, you would see minimal, if any, savings in processing and speed  at the expense of potential issues in a bunch of places.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

oOo--STAR--oOo

Understood, I understand the implications with mods and what not. But I will just edit them manually. I already moved my custom theme in place of the default and cleaned up the DB.. I been stripping the source of SMF to suit my needs.

EX, removed send topic via email, allow users to email other users, collapse topics(cause I made my own without page reload), Removed all source code related to those functions and even database information.
I'll make some light weight mods that don't go as extensive as to what I did just general template edits so they don't affect the default templates with undefined blah lol.

I'm just still customising my own design right now.

I love SMF its so easy to customise.. I have plans to do a lot of customisation and releasing what I have done on here as mods for others to enjoy!

In Design Phase!

Arantor

The difference is so small it's barely measurable and there are so many better ways to optimise your performance than that... Especially as the operating system will be helping minimise the gains being made there.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Arantor on July 07, 2016, 01:33:31 PM
The difference is so small it's barely measurable and there are so many better ways to optimise your performance than that... Especially as the operating system will be helping minimise the gains being made there.

Got any tips on optimization bro?

In Design Phase!

Arantor

Many, some of which won't apply. Short of spending time studying your forum, I couldn't tell you what would be of any use to you...

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Arantor on July 07, 2016, 03:01:19 PM
Many, some of which won't apply. Short of spending time studying your forum, I couldn't tell you what would be of any use to you...

Yeah, its still a work in progress, trying to get a nice mobile design going with minimal server requests and downloads. IE remove all those dam image requests lol. I will be bundling up most of the JS and CSS, just keeping them as they are for now while I keep adding to them.

If you have any suggestions please do shoot them this way!

In Design Phase!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: